Explore With Me: Soho Edition

Stella Ahn

Cleveland St. and Kenmare

Aleyna Dogan, Contributing Writer

The famously artsy neighborhood of the 70s and 80s has evolved into one of New York City’s prime shopping districts. SoHo — an acronym for South of Houston Street — still features galleries, luxury boutiques and independent-designer outposts that characterize the area.

Just walking around the area makes you feel better. If you live around Washington Square Park, just walk south until you pass Houston Street. If you live in Brooklyn, you can take the A or C train from High Street station to Spring Street station.

SoHo was the live playground of many of New York City’s most famous artists. In the generous loft spaces, they set up studios where they painted, choreographed dances and made films. First, check out either Artists Space or TEAM gallery.

Take a break with a meal at one of SoHo’s many excellent restaurants. Jack’s Wife Freda was my personal choice. I had the pasta of the day, which was their lasagne, and it was truly amazing. You will not be disappointed there. It has a lovely story too, if you want to know more, you should check their website.

Walking along Spring Street, you will see numerous luxury shops, and it is always fun to window-shop. You can find original merchandise in Broadway Market, where New York’s independent designers and artists come together to sell their wares. The Market NYC is similar to Broadway Market — Free People has a pop-up store there, and the Museum of Modern Art’s design store sells hip, modern-design objects.

You’ll likely be tired after all that walking, so stop by Antique Garage for baklava and Turkish coffee. Both the atmosphere and food are well done — you’re sure to love it.

New York has a never ending supply of art and food. During our years at NYU, absorbing what the city can offer us is an advantage that no other school can give.

Email Aleyna Dogan at [email protected].