Out of Borough Adventure: Queens

Katie Peurrang

A woman walks her dog past the Unisphere in Flushing-Meadows Corona Park in the borough of Queens.

Christopher Collado, Staff Writer

New York City consists of more than just the borough of Manhattan. A short trip across the East River takes you to Queens — home to the one of the most diverse populations in the United States. Queens has been home to many celebrities, from Nicki Minaj to 50 Cent. With a diverse array of travel options from the 7 or F train to the Long Island Railroad, Queens is easy to travel to.

The diversity of Queens offers many choices of exploration. Food, in particular, can exemplify this borough’s many cultures. A short ride on the Port Washington branch of the LIRR will take you to Bayside and drops you off at Bell Boulevard, a popular street with many food options, including Maria’s for Greek, Papazzio for Italian and American sandwich joint Press 195.

If you are into sports, Queens has your bases covered. Take the 7 train to Mets-Willets point to get to Citi Field, home of the New York Mets, and Arthur Ashe Stadium, the main venue of the U.S. Open tennis championships.

Flushing Meadows Corona Park is also home to The Meadows Music and Art Festival. Besides the stadiums and music festival, Flushing Meadows Corona Park also has the Unisphere, which was built for the 1965 World’s Fair, the Queens Museum and New York Hall of Science. There is also the Observation Tower, which was used as props for the movie “Men in Black.”

For anyone interested in media, communications and film, do not miss the opportunity to visit the Museum of Moving Image — NYU students get in for free with their student IDs. The Museum of Moving Image is accessible by taking the N or W train to 36 Avenue. Once you’re done visiting the museum, explore the neighborhood of Astoria and have a meal at either Napoli Pizza & Pasta or Arepas Cafe.

Or, you can enjoy a dinner and the sunset by taking the 7 train to Long Island City. This Queens neighborhood has plenty of dining options, but you can not go wrong with getting a sandwich cubano at Madera. After a nice meal, head over to Gantry Plaza State Park, just a couple of blocks away. While it is a lovely park to visit at all times, the best time to visit is during the sunset so you can enjoy the view of the Manhattan skyline.

With all the culture that is in Queens, there is something for everyone. Whenever you have free time, take one of New York City’s various public transportation options and take advantage of all the diverse opportunities Queens has to offer.

Email Christopher Collado at [email protected].