Last Week’s Good, Bad and Ugly

Last Week’s Good, Bad and Ugly

Austin Day, Contributing Writer

The Good: National Basketball Association can no longer trust the process.

Don’t freak out. Joel Embiid and the Philadelphia 76ers are still going to take over the league in a few years. But the Embiid process is on its way out.

According to Adrian Wojnarowski from ESPN, the NBA has proposed new legislation that prevents the bottom-feeding teams from cashing in on the lottery.

Here’s how: Right now, the team with the worst record has the highest chance of getting the number one pick in the NBA draft. Now, they propose to have the worst three teams all have the same percent chance of getting that first pick. This is an effort to stay more competitive year round and possibly help them fill seats in games 81 and 82 instead of playing to empty stadiums after an 11-69 start.

I like this a ton — it keeps teams a little more honest and should help with the bottom line for all teams as a whole. It was reported that nine teams lost money after revenue sharing across the league, so there’s a start of a solution. Adam Silver is continuing his hot streak — man, this guy is good.

The Bad: The National Football League is short a halftime act.

Hip hop royalty Jay-Z, according to The Source, turned down an offer to play the Super Bowl halftime show. Shoot your shot NFL, but everyone and their grandmother could have seen that denial coming.

He joins Adele in the club of artists who said no to the event, although Jay has a message here.

There’s a movement happening. The league attempting to put a halftime show-sized Band-Aid over the tensest racial landscape in our lifetime is a bold move, but we know how it’s going to play out.

The halftime show is going to be fine, but that isn’t the issue. There’s an elephant in the room, and they don’t want to turn on the lights. I’m not the place to go for political insights, but keep an eye on what’s going on here because the sporting platform is being used as a place to truly get a message out. It’s something that needs to be seen.

The Ugly: Kevin Durant’s fwitter — fake twitter, is that a thing? — blunder is hilariously sad for a multi-millionaire.

Come, on. Whose mans? It’s the digital version of the playground fight where one kid tells a friend to hold him back then yells to the other kid. He’s lucky that his friend is holding him back.

K.D. made a fake twitter to defend his honor against Twitter haters. What a headline. The dude does a solid job of trolling haters on his own account, so why you gotta do it behind a fake account? Twitter trolls have so much real estate in K.D.’s noggin they’re about to start paying rent.

The saga might go on forever, which I find hilarious. I’m a fan of the guy, but I just don’t see why he went through the ordeal to defend himself when he could just put his phone down and live his blessed life on the West Coast in some million dollar mansion with some million dollar clothes and a million dollar view.

Honestly, yeah, it was probably Russell Westbrook on his own fake account who started the whole thing, now that I think about it. Wild.

Email Austin Day at [email protected].