Wrestling Season Preview

NYU%E2%80%99s+wrestling+team+is+looking+forward+for+the+new+upcoming+season+as+new+promising+members+have+been+recruited.+Their+new+season+will+be+kicked+off+on+Nov.+4+at+the+Monarch+Tournament+hosted+by+King%E2%80%99s+College.+
NYU’s wrestling team is looking forward for the new upcoming season as new promising members have been recruited. Their new season will be kicked off on Nov. 4 at the Monarch Tournament hosted by King’s College.

Courtesy of NYU Athletics

Courtesy of NYU Athletics

Alice Li, Contributing Writer

Collegiate wrestling is no easy grapple, but NYU wrestling is jumping into the hustle and kicking into high gear in preparation for the upcoming season’s dual meets and tournaments. Last season marked the send-off of great assets in wrestlers, but the team is looking forward to building yet another great year on the mat.

Stern sophomore Sean Lyons looks back at last season’s victories and still feels the thrill of the season’s highlights, and rejoices in NYU wrestling history being made. From cheering on his teammates to getting riled up for anticipated matches, Lyons’ experiences from last season carry over as excitement for this season.

“I am very excited for this upcoming season that is just around the corner,” he said. “We had a great year as a team overall last year. We had a good showing at our regional tournament and qualified four guys for nationals: John Messinger and Nathan Pike, now graduated, and Jacob Donato and Blaise Benderoth, both returning. The most exciting part was definitely getting to see Nathan Pike win a national title. I think almost every person who has been attached to this program before was following that match. It was great to see Nathan and Blaise be named All-Americans.”

Lyons is confident in the influx of freshmen and transfers who are joining the team this year, and hopes to bask in the team spirit that is synonymous with NYU wrestling’s close-knit team.

“I’m looking forward mostly to being back with the squad of teammates again,” Lyons said. “We have a lot of great talent coming in with our freshman and transfers that will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I really just can’t wait for the sense of camaraderie that builds through the long days of wrestling season.”

SPS senior Raymond Jazikoff is returning as a captain this semester, and wants to make the most of his last season wrestling with his NYU teammates. He is optimistic regarding this season, and plans on holding onto these fleeting memories after taking it all in one last time.

“[I have] been working hard during the summer and it’s my senior year so it’s going to be the last time wrestling for NYU,” Jazikoff said. “I am ready to go out there and give it my all. [A highlight] from last year was the team performance at UAAs. We did an awesome job and we will win it again this year. This season I’m looking forward to enjoying everything about wrestling, even the little things. We have high goals this year and we are all ready to win.”

The team will begin their season on Saturday, Nov. 4 at the Monarch Tournament hosted by King’s College.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Oct. 2 print edition. Email Alice Li at [email protected]