NYU’s Tigris Records Takes Queens

Honor Saskia Milton, Contributing Writer

• Tigris Records, an NYU Clive Davis student run label, sold out their concert venue at the Knockdown Center in Queens on Sept. 30. The show started at 10:30pm and only saw the final act towards 2am, but the record label is already planning out their next concert for December.

Student-led record company Tigris Records sold out the Knockdown Center in Queens on Saturday, Sept. 30, filling it with energy and music from 10:30 p.m. onward. Evan Candelmo, founder of Tigris Records and Clive Davis student, thanked the audience for coming and acted as the host, going on to introduce each of the label’s performers.

First to take the stage was JONAH, who warmed the crowd up with his hip-hop influenced pop tunes. Following his 30-minute set, Ryan Peete took to the stage with her folk-rock sound with electronic accents. The energy in the room increased throughout, reaching a peak during the performance of her most recent single, “Tie It Up.” On deck during Ryan’s set was Katie Cunningham, whose pop rhythm and blues jams brought down the house. The colored lights and smoke machine added to the vibe as Madeline Jane grooved to her funk-in uenced R&B. Many members of the crowd in the packed house knew the words during every performance — a good sign for any artist. When Cecilia Gault took to the stage just past midnight with her new wave pop sound, the crowd was not even close to tiring, even after a solid two hours of nonstop music.

DOMENICO and Moollz closed out the show, and the energy continued to climb over the next hour as they played electro R&B and intergalactic pop, respectively, to the jam-packed venue. The final set ended at 2 a.m., but the crowd took a while to dissipate with people hanging around to talk, many reluctant to leave behind the bountiful good vibes and ambience in Queens on the last night of September.

Man of the hour, Evan Candelmo, reflected on the performances, saying, “The show went really well despite a couple of hiccups. I’m so proud of the Tigris ladies, Domenico, JONAH and Cecilia for putting on a fantastic sold out show. It couldn’t have gone any better and I’m looking forward to the next one in December.”

With a date in December already in mind for Tigris’ next show, Tigris Frostbytes, Candelmo is working to build his record label and the signed artists’ careers. Selling out two shows in a row, these young tigers aren’t going anywhere soon.

You can keep up to date with future events by liking Tigris Records on Facebook and following them on Twitter and Instagram @tigrisrecords.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Oct. 10 print edition.

Email Honor Saskia Milton at [email protected]