Weekly Sports Update: Sept. 29 to Oct. 7

Tori+Bianco+scored+the+game+winning+goal+for+the+women%E2%80%99s+soccer+team+against+Case+Western.+This+week%E2%80%99s+recap+also+covers+men%E2%80%99s+and+womens+cross+country%2C+mens+soccer%2C+men%E2%80%99s+golf%2C+and+womens+volleyball.+

via gonyuathletics.com

Tori Bianco scored the game winning goal for the women’s soccer team against Case Western. This week’s recap also covers men’s and women’s cross country, men’s soccer, men’s golf, and women’s volleyball.

Tyler Crews, Contributing Writer

Women’s Cross Country
On Saturday, Oct. 7 women’s cross country participated in the Highlander Invitational, hosted by Houghton College in Houghton, New York. The Violets finished in second place out of the 16 teams competing, coming behind Rochester Institute of Technology.

Individually, two of NYU’s runners placed within the top 10. SPS junior Sabrina Herrmann came in first, with a time of 22:13:6, in the five kilometer race while CAS senior Hannah Haley came in fifth, with a time of 23:09:1.

The team will compete again on Friday, Oct. 13 at the Metropolitan Cross Country Championship in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx.

Men’s Cross Country
On Saturday, Oct. 7 men’s cross country also participated in the Highlander Invitational. The Violets finished first out of the 16 teams competing with a total of 43 points, which was 22 points ahead of RIT, who had the second place finish.

Individually, CAS senior Neil Saddler placed second, with SPS junior Brandon Shirazi coming in fourth and Stern senior Max Mudd pulling in at ninth for three top 10 finishes.

The team will be back on Friday, Oct. 13 for the Metropolitan Cross Country Championship in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx.

Men’s Golf
On Sunday, Oct. 1, NYU men’s golf took home the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championship from the Ravenswood Country Club in Victor, New York.

The Violets secured the top spot on the leaderboard early on and never relented throughout the weekend. The team earned its second consecutive ECAC championship with a score of 592.

Individually, Stern freshman

Patrick McNary and Stern sophomore Jensen Li led the group as co-champions, both with a score of 146. Following closely was GLS sophomore Matt Shen, with a fifth place finish and a score of 151.

Men’s golf is currently at the Skidmore Invitational in Saratoga Springs, New York at the Saratoga National Golf Course.

Women’s Soccer
It was a good week for women’s soccer, with the team securing two wins against Rutgers University-Newark and Case Western Reserve University.

On Monday, Oct. 3, the Violets traveled to Newark, New Jersey to play Rutgers. The team scored two goals in the first half and maintained this lead for the rest of the game. The Violets’ defense was unrelenting in combination with three saves from Tandon sophomore goalkeeper Sophia Danielsen, resulting in their sixth shutout game of the season.

The Violets played at home on Saturday, Oct. 7 against Case Western, securing their second win of the week. While Case Western earned the first goal of the match within the first five minutes, the Violets came back with two goals in the second half to gain the win and advance their record to 7-3-1.

Women’s soccer plays again on Friday, Oct. 13 when they travel to Atlanta, Georgia to play against Emory University.

Men’s Soccer
NYU men’s soccer had two big games this week, first against New Jersey City University and then against Case Western Reserve University.

On Tuesday, Oct. 3 the men played New Jersey City at Gaelic Park, winning with a score of 3-2. The game was extremely close and went into double overtime, but the Violets were able to earn the win, breaking their two-game losing streak.

The men were less fortunate on Saturday, Oct. 7 when they played Case Western at Gaelic Park. While the Violets were able to secure the first goal, their momentum fell, allowing Case Western to return with five goals.

The Violets play again at Gaelic Park on Monday, Oct. 9 against Baruch College.

Women’s Volleyball
Women’s volleyball defeated Baruch College in their home opener on Thursday, Oct. 5 at the Brooklyn Athletic Facility in Brooklyn. The Violets won in three straight sets, never being fully challenged with a score of 25-11, 25-14, 25-10.

The following day, Friday, Oct. 6, women’s volleyball fell in three sets against Hunter College in the Upper East Side. The Violets stayed close throughout the match, but ultimately lost with a score of 20-21, 17-25, 21-25.

Women’s volleyball returns to action on Saturday, Oct. 14 at the second University Athletic Association round robin at the University Of Chicago.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Oct. 10 print edition. Email Tyler Crews at [email protected].