Donut Ice Cream Rocks Your Taste Buds

Sherry Yan

Stuffed Ice Cream, located at 139 1st Ave, has created a donut ice cream sandwich, which they have named the “cruff.”

Sherry Yan, Contributing Writer

Ice cream and donuts are the two stars of the dessert world, but what about the combination of the two? Stuffed Ice Cream, a store located at 139 First Ave. in the East Village, serves an answer to that question. They name the donut ice cream sandwich concoction “cruff.”

According to Alan Yaung, the 24-year-old co-founder of Stuffed Ice Cream, cruff is a portmanteau of on the words cream and stuffed.

“I wanted to come up with a name that is very catchy and make it sound like a real word,” he said. “Among the cruffs, Unicorn Poop and Cookie Road are the most popular choices.”

Besides the two aforementioned flavors, there are also six signature cruffs, including “Thai Kwon Dough,” “Matcha-Ma-Call-It,” “The Mint Monster,” “Tea Party,” “Peppermint Latte” and “Cereal Killer.” Boasting unique and imaginative names, these $7 cruffs invite customers to embark on a fantastic journey induced by the mix of an airy donut and sugary ice cream. The sweetness, in fact, hits the perfect balance — sweet enough to delight one’s taste buds, but not too sweet.

LS freshman Julienne Ching, who had the “Unicorn Poop” cruff, gushed about her taste bud journey.

“Basically the Unicorn Poop has white chocolate lavender, as well as Thai milk tea ice cream,” Ching said. “It has like rainbow-colored Fruity Pebbles all over and all of it is enveloped in the donut. This was one of the most amazing desserts that I have ever had. Even though I don’t like donuts or the Fruity Pebbles, somehow the cruff makes it work.”

The amazing taste of the cruff can be traced back to the secret process behind its creation. The soft glazed donut is filled with two scoops of different flavored ice cream and then put into a magic machine where the dough warms while the ice cream remains cold in its shape without melting. After taking it out, the staff cuts the donut ice cream in half to make a sandwich and places varied toppings to add flavor and aesthetic appeal.

Yaung further explained what makes Stuffed Ice Cream special.

“Everything we do here is made in house,” Yaung said. “We make all the donuts and we make all the ice cream. We make sure everything is exactly the flavor we say it is. We make sure every single ice cream is very rich in flavor. We make sure every donut is very nice and fluffy, so it is able to hold the whole ice cream.”

According to Yaung, there are roughly 150 to 200 customers per day during weekdays, and the weekend is hard to estimate since the number drastically increased in the past couple of weekends. Stuffed Ice Cream is not the only vendor selling incredible ice cream served in a donut. There are some other places around the NYU area too, including Holey Cream, Ice & Vice, Mikey Likes It Ice Cream and DO Cookie Dough Confection. Give this delicious new trend a try.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Oct. 16 print edition. Email Sherry Yan at [email protected]