NYU Offers Free Flu Shots

NYU+is+offering+free+flu+shots+for+students+at+the+Health+Center%2C+located+on+726+Broadway.+
NYU is offering free flu shots for students at the Health Center, located on 726 Broadway.

Via flickr.com

Via flickr.com

Lorenzo Gazzola, Staff Writer

Don’t fall under the influenza.

To help students avoid getting the flu this year, the NYU Student Health Center is offering free flu shots to all students

Students can also get free flu shots at any time at the Student Health Center at 726 Broadway.

The Health Center administers over 9,000 flu shots every year, said NYU Student Health Center Director of Nursing Mary Ellen Bovino.

Bovino said that most students are diagnosed with the flu during the months of January, February and March, which are the peak months for flu activity. Last year, the Health Center reported 215 students who were diagnosed with the flu, though the number of students infected by the flu who did not visit the Health Center is almost certainly higher.

“The Student Health Center believes so strongly in the benefits of flu vaccination that we are hoping to increase the number of students who receive immunization by removing financial barriers and improving access to [the] vaccine,” Bovino said.

The Health Center, which began administering flu shots in mid-August, has already given nearly 5,000 doses of flu vaccines, according to Bovino.

“I’ve had the flu before, so I know why it’s important to stay healthy,” LS sophomore Tilly Holmes said. “I think getting a flu shot is the best way to do that, so the Health Center offering flu shots is great.”

Despite the effects that the flu can have on students, Bovino indicated that students with mild to moderate cases of the flu can usually manage their symptoms without medical care from the Health Center.

Nevertheless, the Health Center encourages all people with the flu to stay home from school or work until they have gone 24 hours without a fever and without using fever reducing medication.

Bovino talked about the importance of students getting flu shots to avoid becoming ill with influenza.

“Students who receive a flu vaccination will not only protect themselves, but others in their community,” Bovino said. “When enough of the community is immunized against a contagious disease, most other members are protected from infection because there is little opportunity for the disease to spread.”

Below is the schedule for the upcoming locations and times where students can get their flu shots.

Oct. 17 — 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the NYU School of Law, Golding Lounge

Oct. 20 — 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Palladium Athletic Facility in the C3 Conference Room

Oct. 25 — 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Kimmel Center for University Life in the Center for Student Life, Room 210

Nov. 1 — 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Tandon School of Engineering, MakerSpace Foyer

Nov. 9 — 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Kimmel Center for University Life in the Center for Student Life, Room 210

Nov. 14 — 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the NYU Stern School of Business in the Kassin Center, Room L101

Email Lorenzo Gazzola at [email protected]