Costumes 101: DIY Halloween Like a Pro

Marie Kessel, Contributing Writer

1. Harry Potter

If you’re a fan of J.K. Rowling’s renowned series or have seen at least one of the movies, this is an easy costume suggestion to transform you into Harry Potter. In order to make the Hogwarts robe, take your old graduation robe or any black sheet you can wrap around yourself. To emulate the appearance of a legitimate Hogwarts student, wear a white button down and black slacks underneath — those of you who had to wear school uniforms shouldn’t find this too difficult. If you don’t have a striped scarf sporting the Gryffindor colors of red and gold, you can just use an old necktie of similar coloring instead. Next, you will need the perfectly round glasses that Harry always wears with tape around the middle for good measure. As a final touch, draw the famous lightning scar on your forehead using eyeliner or any dark washable marker.

1. Rosie the Riveter

Rosie the Riveter is a cultural icon who represents the thousands of women who took on the jobs of men who had been working in factories and shipyards before World War II. She symbolizes the strength of women as a whole, and her distinctive look is simple to recreate. You probably already have a pair of jeans and a denim shirt in your closet somewhere, so all you need is a red and white polka dot bandana to tie your hair with. A final and extremely important detail is a dash of Rosie’s very memorable red lipstick.

1. Kim Possible

If you, like me, grew up watching Kim Possible — a show about a high school cheerleader, Kim, who saves the world from time to time — this is a great costume to funnel those feelings of nostalgia into the present day. This costume is very easy to create: any black crop top, shirt or sweater paired with green khaki pants. As long as you follow the color scheme, it is very simple to distinguish yourself as Kim Possible. Add black combat boots as a final touch and you are ready to go.

1. Columbia Student

Poke fun at your school’s rival this Halloween by dressing yourself in an outfit of Columbia blue. Whether you were rejected by the college or were peer pressured into this childish rivalry, now is the time to capitalize on your hatred for your Ivy League counterpart. Just take the short trip on the 1 up to the 116th Street station and infiltrate the Columbia-dominated Barnes & Noble, where you can find all the overpriced components you could possibly need for your mocking get-up.

Email Marie Kessel at [email protected].