NYU Beauty Beat

Julia Choi

Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development freshman

DESCRIBE YOUR BEAUTY EVOLUTION.

I’ve always focused on skincare and only worn very minimal makeup. I used to be so insecure about my skin because I had [a] considerable [amount of] acne from middle school to the beginning of sophomore year in high school, so I devoted a lot of time [to] researching what factors were triggering my breakouts and how to combat them when they did happen. Since I got into skincare, I’ve felt so much more confident about myself. As for makeup, I’ve never worn much of it because I don’t like the feeling of it on my skin. I really appreciate makeup as an artistic medium, though, and I’m a strong believer that people should wear as little or as much as they want.

HOW DO BEAUTY AND SKINCARE FIT INTO YOUR LIFE AS AN NYU STUDENT?

As an NYU student specifically, I’m in the process of creating a new skincare routine. I’m from California and everything from temperature to pollution levels is different here, so my skin is going to have different needs as it adjusts to a new environment here in the city. I always consider cost-benefit and environmental impact when I buy new products. I won’t buy anything with palm oil or microbeads. Cost-benefit is also really important to me because I won’t waste [money] on a product that won’t give me my money’s worth.

JULIA’S FAVORITE MAKEUP PRODUCTS:

Goof Proof Brow Pencil Easy Shape & Fill in #6, MAC Cosmetics Eyeshadow in “Soba,” Colourpop Super Shock Shadow in “Central Perk,” Too Faced Better Than Sex Waterproof Mascara and NARS Cosmetics Blush in “Orgasm”

JULIA’S FAVORITE HAIR PRODUCTS:

I don’t have any holy-grail hair products, but I’ve always been a big fan of hair oils. My hair has been through a lot. I keep it healthy by putting one or two pumps of oil in it that makes it concentrated at the ends. I’m hesitant to be a fan of a certain brand because I haven’t found one that’s too different from all the rest. But anything with jojoba oil seems to work for my hair.

FINAL THOUGHTS?

It’s OK to like makeup, skincare and fashion. You can like all of that and be smart and strong and everything else. Be unapologetic about the things you enjoy.

Izka Edmond

Liberal Studies sophomore

DESCRIBE YOUR BEAUTY EVOLUTION.

Growing up, I was always into my mom’s makeup. I just played around with it a lot. Most of my collection now is my mom’s stuff. But I was a pretty big tomboy, and I didn’t get into makeup until Valentine’s Day of 2016, when my dad got me a foundation as a gift. I think it just flipped a switch inside of me, and I wanted to learn everything I could about makeup. I think having something I could solely focus on for hours on end was really fascinating. When I first started, I always had a full coverage foundation on and really bold looks, but now I am really into cool natural and dewy looks. But I’m not one to shy away from my roots. I’ll break out a bold look once in a while.

Being at NYU is pretty stressful, and you really lose sight of the fact that you have to take care of yourself and pay attention to your body and what it wants and needs. Skincare and makeup really let me be present and remind me that I have to take care of myself and pay attention to myself because I can get lost in all the craziness that is NYU.

IZKA’S FAVORITE MAKEUP PRODUCTS:

Glossier Perfecting Skin Tint, e.l.f. Cosmetics All Over Color Stick, NARS Cosmetics Illuminator in “Laguna,”, Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer and Dior Addict Lip Glow Color Reviver Balm

IZKA’S FAVORITE SKINCARE PRODUCTS:

Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser; EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46; Mario Badescu Facial Spray With Aloe, Herb and Rosewater; Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment and Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask

IZKA’S FAVORITE HAIR PRODUCTS:

Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Original Leave-In Moisturizer, SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Grow Shampoo, Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker, As I Am Naturally Leave-In Conditioner and Ampro Pro Styl Protein Styling Gel

FINAL THOUGHTS?

Do it for you and nobody else. There really shouldn’t be an assigned gender when it comes to who can and can’t wear makeup and taking care of your skin. Also, investing on good makeup brushes and good products overall can make a whole lot of a difference.

Eric Vera

Rory Meyers College of Nursing sophomore

DESCRIBE YOUR BEAUTY EVOLUTION.

Three years ago, I had really bad skin. My mom was like, “You should go on Proactiv!” When she said that, I [had] never felt more personally attacked by my own mother. I really thought about it and realized that, you know, she was right. So, I got Proactiv because I didn’t know anything about skincare. But it wrecked my skin; [my skin] was peeling, it was crusty, it was disgusting. Then, I decided to make my own routine. I’m really into Korean beauty, and I had been doing that for about two years until I started my Instagram account (@thegoodskincare). And that’s when I started using other types of skincare. Now I use more green beauty and authentic beauty products. And I didn’t start wearing makeup until last year. I just rub highlighter all over my face and call it a day. I guess that’s my evolution thus far.

High school was a rough time for me. As I got more into skincare and beauty, it became more and more of an escape [by] doing a full routine every night and every morning before school. So, the self-care and therapeutic aspect of it has always been important in my beauty evolution that I’ve carried into college. In terms of makeup, seeing people on Instagram [wearing it] made me realize it’s not that serious and that you can do whatever you want. So, that’s how I got into makeup. I think, if you’re a guy and you want to wear makeup or be different and do whatever, here is the place to do it. I grew up in a Latino household, and I always felt like I had to hide myself. Here is that safe space where you can do whatever you want. But at the same time, you can get caught in that bubble.

ERIC’S FAVORITE MAKEUP PRODUCTS:

MAC Studio Face and Body Foundation, Hourglass Cosmetics Ambient Lighting Palette, Ciaté London Dewy Stix Luminous Highlighting Balm, Glossier Cloud Paint Blush in “Dusk” and Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat Radiance Perfecting Concealer Pen

ERIC’S FAVORITE SKINCARE PRODUCTS:

Pixi Beauty Double Cleanse, Paula’s Choice Skincare SKIN PERFECTING 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant, Boots Botanics Shine Away Ionic Clay Mask, Kiehl’s Cilantro & Orange Extract Pollutant Defending Mask and Sunday Riley Juno Hydroactive Cellular Face Oil

ERIC’S FAVORITE HAIR PRODUCTS:

OUAI Wave Spray and As I Am Naturally Coconut Cowash Cleansing Conditioner

FINAL THOUGHTS?

I felt like at times, I [wanted] to do whatever I wanted without it becoming a statement. By nature, though, it is a statement, so you just have to own it.

Email Michaela Hoffman at [email protected].