Mr. Bing: A New Food Culture

Sherry Yan

Mr. Bing is a new restaurant located on St. Marks Place and serves jianbings or “bings” which is a traditional Chinese street food that resembles a French crepe.

Sherry Yan, Staff Writer

There’s a new sheriff in town and he goes by the name Mr. Bing. Located on St. Marks Place, Mr. Bing is serving up jianbings or bings, a traditional Chinese street food that resembles a crepe. Customers can watch how the bings are made right in front of them.

Bings come in different forms but are usually made of mung bean, rice and wheat flour crepe with eggs, sesame seeds, scallions, hoisin sauce, crispy chili paste and cilantro with crunchy wontons sprinkled on the top of the crepe and folded together.

At its most basic form, the ingredients make up the classic vegetarian bing, which is the most popular on the streets of China. However, according to Brian Goldberg, the founder and chief executive officer of Mr. Bing, several types of fillings — including kimchi, Cantonese style roast pork, drunken chicken and Peking duck  — are customized here to cater to Americans’ tastes.

“We do the traditional one,” Goldberg said. “But then for Americans, they want more food for lunch and dinner. They want some protein. They like to eat meat. So that’s why we came up with this idea to add meat inside the jianbing, but the meat that we add still have a bit of a Chinese theme. We preserve the traditional version. We also introduce a new version. That’s how food culture is. Food is always evolving.”

Born and raised in New York, Goldberg majored in Chinese Studies in college and studied abroad in Beijing and Harbin.

“Twenty years ago when I was a student [studying abroad in China], I woke up and had jianbing for breakfast every morning before school,” Goldberg said. “It was really, really good, and I began to think how cool it would be to bring it back to America.”

Goldberg said he learned different recipes from different vendors in China. He learned to put sesame seeds into the batter in Xiaoyan Jianbing in Beijing. Goldberg hopes to add a new menu item served with tofu paste, a style he learned in Tianjin.

“After 13 years living overseas, I decided it was time to come back to New York, so I started Mr. Bing here, and we won the award for Best New Street Food of New York City for 2016,” Goldberg said.

“We fold and present [the bing] a little bit more neatly and cleanly,” Goldberg said. “In China, they just throw it into a bag, and you eat it in a bag. It’s delicious but very messy.”

Besides bings, Mr. Bing serves up some classic Chinese sides such as various dumplings and a cucumber side salad. Steinhardt freshman Iris Wang was pleased that Mr. Bing stayed true to its Chinese origins but added a little flare.

“Mr. Bing serves the bing with meats such as Peking duck, which somehow not only remains the original taste that I had in China but also adds some new experiences to taste buds,” Wang said.

Located close to campus at 115 St. Marks Pl. between First Avenue and Avenue A, Mr. Bing is going to start accepting NYU Campus Cash and offering ambassador opportunities for students. 

“We actually want some NYU students to work part-time for us as brand ambassadors, meaning you stand outside the store, talk to people, give them free samples of bing and show them the video [about] bing,” Goldberg said. “We can also teach [them] how to make a bing.”

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 13 print edition. Email Sherry Yan at [email protected].