Weekly Sports Update: Nov. 13 to Nov. 18

via gonyuathletics.com

The NYU men’s basketball team captain Ross Udine of the led the team to a 80-77 victory over the College of Mount Saint Vincent on Nov. 18.

Tyler Crews, Deputy Sports Editor

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer team defeated Grove City College 1-0 in the semifinals of the Eastern College Athletic Conference Division III Championship on Saturday, Nov. 18 in Springfield, Massachusetts.

This advances the Violets into the final game of the championship on Sunday, Nov. 19 against Springfield College for the second year in a row.

Men’s Soccer

The men’s soccer team fell in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Division III semifinals on Saturday, Nov. 18 against Rutgers University-Camden in Annville, Pennsylvania.

The game was stopped in the 71st minute due to severe weather and unplayable field conditions, but the Violets were trailing by one, losing when the game was called at 3-2.

This concludes the men’s season with a record of 9-8-3.

Women’s Basketball

NYU women’s basketball kicked off its season on Wednesday, Nov. 15 when the Violets hosted Stevens Institute of Technology at the Manhattan Sportsplex. The game was close, but the Violets were able to pull out a 68-65 win.

Then on Saturday, Nov. 18, the team hosted the NYU Tip-off Tournament at the Sportsplex, winning in the first game against Mount Aloysius College 59-57.

The team plays against William Smith College on Sunday, Nov. 19 for the championship.

Men’s Basketball

NYU men’s basketball opened its season with a victory on Saturday, Nov. 18. The team hosted the NYU Tip-off Tournament at the Sportsplex in Manhattan, where the Violets played their first game against the College of Mount Saint Vincent. The Violets got off to a rocky start, trailing by as many as 12 points in the first half, but came back to trail by four points at halftime, when the score was 40-36. The team then ended the game with a score of 80-77.

The team goes on to play Haverford College in the championship game on Sunday, Nov. 19.

Cross Country

On Saturday, Nov. 18, members of both the men’s and women’s cross country teams competed in the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division III Championship in Elsah, Illinois. While the women were not eligible to compete as a team, the men’s team came in 28th place out of 32 teams for the 8K course.

Individually, CAS senior Neil Saddler improved immensely from when he competed last year, coming in 53rd overall with a time of 25:08.38, in comparison to 195th place finish last season. There were 279 individuals competing in both the men’s and women’s races.

For the women’s team, CAS senior Hannah Haley and SPS junior Sabrina Herrmann qualified to compete individually in the 6K race. Herrmann finished in 121st place with a time of 22:23.70 and Haley came in at  23:10.20, earning 224th place.

This was the end of the cross country season.

Fencing

The men’s fencing team dominated in its meet against Stevens Institute of Technology on Monday, Nov. 13, winning with a score of 21-6. The Violets showed mastery in both foil and sabre, winning with both weapons by 8-1. The teams were closer in epee, and the Violets just barely managed a 5-4 win.

The women struggled, losing 15-12 in the meet, which was their season opener.

The team is competing next in the Sacred Heart Duals in Fairfield, Connecticut on Sunday, Dec. 3.

Swimming and Diving

Both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams competed against Johns Hopkins University and the College of New Jersey in a tri-meet on Saturday, Nov. 18 at NYU’s Palladium Athletic Facility.

The men dominated in the pool and defeated both opposing teams, taking first place in nine of the 14 events. In diving, SPS junior Connor Brisson took first place in both the one-meter and three-meter dives.

The women were less fortunate, winning against New Jersey but falling short to Johns Hopkins. The team won six out of 14 events. On the diving boards, CAS sophomore Carmen White won both the three-meter and one-meter dives.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 20 print edition. Email Tyler Crews at [email protected]