Eat Your Way Around Each Dorm: Vegan-Friendly Asian Cuisine

Via Instagram.com

Beyond Sushi offers a number of sushi rolls and soups that pass on the raw fish for a variety of vegetables as a vegan alternative.

Spurthi Kontham, Contributing Writer

As the temperature inches closer to freezing and the stress of the semester’s end begins to settle in, the cravings for comfort food can become urgent, intense and of utmost gravity. If you find yourself distracted by dreams of steaming bowls of ramen, plump dumplings and crisp samosas, but are not willing to brave the cold or leave your books for a second longer than five minutes, then you’ve come to the right place. Here are vegan-friendly options within a brisk-walking distance of each dorm. Indulge and satisfy yourself while staying cruelty-free.

Lipton, Weinstein and Goddard

Red Bamboo

Hours: Monday – Thursday, 12:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.; Friday, 12:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.; Saturday, 12 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.; Sunday, 12 p.m. to 11 p.m., Address: 140 W. 4th St.

Red Bamboo offers a colorful and diverse global cuisine. Offering everything from vegan roti canai and curry wings to thai beef curry and pineapple seafood fried rice, Red Bamboo is guaranteed to have something or the other that’ll hit the right spot.

SoHo Tiffin Junction

Hours: Monday – Sunday, 11a.m. to 8 p.m., Address: 42 E. 8th St.

This South Indian kitchen offers up warmth and spice in its “Build Your Own Bowl” option. Choose a base of rice and beans, greens, quinoa or cauliflower rice, and top with tofu curry, curried avocado, kale and cauliflower, and toppings and sauces. An amply filled bowl here will cost you about the same as a trip to Chipotle.

Rubin and Carlyle Court

Spice Thai

Monday – Friday, 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.; Saturday, 12:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.; Sunday 12:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Address: 39 E. 13th St.

Enjoy Spice’s vegan-friendly options, which include Pattaya Noodles and Vegetarian Basil Mock Duck.

Third North, Coral, Founders, University Hall and Palladium

Beyond Sushi

Hours: Monday – Sunday, 11:20 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., Address: 229 E. 14th St.

Who can say no to sushi? The menu at Beyond Sushi involves unconventional pairings of fruits, vegetables and grains to create vegan dishes of dumplings, noodle salads, soups, sushi rolls and paper wraps. The restaurant’s current seasonal roll is filled with black rice, baby arugula, coffee-roasted kabocha and avocado, and it’s topped with citrus-infused shredded carrots and black garlic powder with a burnt eggplant and yuzu coconut sauce. Feeling adventurous?

Alumni and Second Street

Dumpling Man

Hours: Friday – Saturday 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m.; Sunday – Thursday, 11:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., Address: 100 St Marks Pl.

Dumpling man uses no eggs or butter in its wrapper dough, making its entire vegetarian options 100 percent vegan friendly! Enjoy  six tofu-mushroom dumplings for $5.95 and save space for 4 of their banana sweet dumplings for $4.95.

Gramercy Green

Franchia

Hours: Monday – Thursday 12 p.m. to 9:45 p.m.; Friday 12 p.m. to 10:15 p.m.; Saturday, 1 p.m. to 10:15 p.m.; Sunday 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., 12 Park Ave.

Enjoy the unbeatable ambience at this vegan Korean cafe, offering everything from bibimbap, dumplings, rice and noodle dishes to desserts like Black Sweet Rice and Coconut Pudding and Green Tea Tofu Pudding. Wear pants with a stretchy waistband to this affair; you will surely exhaust your appetite.

Broome and Lafayette

Buddha Bodai-Bodhi

Hours: Monday – Friday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday – Sunday, 9:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., 77 Mulberry St.

Your prayers have been answered for vegan dim sum. This spot has been featured on ABC, CBS and WNBC for its impressive vegan interpretations of classic Chinese dishes.

For more information on going vegan, check out peta2’s website. There are a ton of informative videos to watch and articles to read, as well as plenty of vegan recipes waiting to be followed if you’re really not feeling leaving your dorm.

Email Spurthi Kontham at [email protected].