NYU Hockey Falls Short During Latest Game

via gonyuathletics.com

SPS senior Michael Conslato, SPS junior Mason Gallegos, SPS junior John Kowalewski, SPS senior Steven Esposito and SPS sophomore Giancarlo Pochintesta were the five starters for the game on Dec. 1 against Drexel University. Their next game will be on Friday, Dec. 8 against SUNY Stony Brook at Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers.

Tyler Crews, Deputy Sports Editor

NYU hockey fell short in the team’s first game against Drexel University on Friday, Dec. 1 at the Chelsea Piers Sky Rink. The five starters kicking off the game were SPS seniors Michael Conslato and Steven Esposito, SPS juniors Mason Gallegos, John Kowalewski and SPS sophomore Giancarlo Pochintesta. SPS sophomore Patrick Cavanaugh started the game off in goal.

Drexel kicked off the excitement for the first period, scoring its first two goals, which ended the period with the score at 2-0. While Drexel had more goals at the end of the first period, the two teams were equal in shooting, tied 7-7.

In the second period, NYU dominated the play, keeping the puck out of its end for the majority of the period. The team had many fans there to support it, and you could feel the crowd’s excitement when NYU secured its first goal at minute 8:46, scored by SPS junior Hamilton Whyte and assisted by Pochintesta. A mere nine seconds later, the Violets scored again, as Conslato was able to get past Drexel’s goalie with an assist from Esposito. This tied the game at 2-2.

NYU had an advantage at minute 9:35 when a Drexel player was put in the box for slashing, but failed to capitalize on the opportunity. Drexel secured its lead once again at minute 11:48 with the go ahead goal. Shortly thereafter, Drexel got the puck past Cavanaugh once more, reclaiming its two-goal lead. After Drexel scored its third goal of the period at 14:21, Cavanaugh was subbed by Steinhardt sophomore goalkeeper Adam Salisbury. NYU kept up, though, and was able to bag a short-handed goal at 19:12, scored by SPS freshman Alex Peck off of an assist from SPS freshman Frankie Horowitz. The second period ended with a score of 5-3, and Drexel had taken seven shots, whereas NYU took 12.

During the third period, Drexel hit hard first at 1:15, bringing its lead to 6-3. At 7:11, Drexel was sent to the box for checking from behind. Another Drexel player joined the first at 8:24, bringing NYU to an advantageous five-on-three. NYU was not able to secure a goal in this time, though, and called a timeout with 11:36 to gather themselves. Despite their efforts, the Violets could not shut Drexel down, and the opposing team scored its seventh goal at 14:00. The game ended as a 7-3 loss.

After the game, Head Coach Chris Cosentino said the team is young and is focusing on improving every day and practicing the right way for 60 minutes every night.

“Early in the season we struggled with inconsistency, but I really like the way we are developing and we just need to keep pushing forward,” Cosentino said. “We had a good series last week against Liberty, but we know we need to be better and it starts tonight.”

You can watch the team play again on Friday, Dec. 8 at 8:30 p.m. against SUNY Stony Brook at the Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Dec. 4 print edition. Email Tyler Crews at [email protected].