Weekly Sports Update: Jan. 19 to Jan. 21

Via gonyuathletics.com

LS Sophomore Honore Collins won three events for the women’s swim team at West Chester University on Jan. 20.

Maddie Howard, Sports Editor

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team suffered two losses this weekend as it played two conference competitors, moving its overall record to 8-8.

On Friday, Jan. 19 in New York the team faced Emory University. In the game, graduate student and team-standout Kaitlyn Read scored her 1,500th career point, leaving her with the fifth most points on the women’s basketball’s all-time scoring ranking.

However, Read’s performance was not enough to move the Violets to victory, leading the team to a final losing score of 69-64.

On Sunday, Jan. 21 in New York  the Violets played its second conference game against the University of Rochester. The Violets led the game at halftime 35-39. Eventually, Rochester caught NYU’s trail and the game ended with a 83-79 loss for the Violets.

Women’s basketball will return to the court on Friday, Jan. 26 in New York for a conference game against Carnegie Mellon University.

Men’s Basketball

Men’s basketball also lost both conference games this weekend against Emory University and the University of Rochester, moving the team’s record to 8-7 overall.

On Friday, Jan. 19 in New York the Violets lost 73-68 to Emory, leading the game only once late in the first half.

On Sunday, Jan. 21 in New York the Violets returned to the court to play Rochester. Gallatin senior Ross Udine led both teams with 21 points scored, but it was not enough to put the Violets past the Yellowjackets. The team lost with a final score of 87-82.

The Violets will play its next University Athletic Association rival on Friday, Jan. 26 against Carnegie Mellon University in New York.

Wrestling

On Sunday, Jan. 21 NYU men’s wrestling fell 38-6 to Long Island University-Post in Brookville, New York.

SPS senior, Raymond Jazikoff and LS sophomore Evan Drill helped the team earn two individual wins. However, it was not enough to help the Violets win. Drill wrestled at 149 pounds, and Jazikoff wrestled at 157 pounds.

The team loss put an end to its previous four-match winning streak.

The Violets will return Saturday, Jan. 27 for a dual match against Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut.

Men’s Swimming and Diving

On Friday, Jan. 19 in Williamstown, Massachusetts the men’s swimming and diving team to faced home team Williams College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The Violets split the event recording a 174-119 win against Williams but suffered a 177-23 loss against MIT.

The next day on Saturday, Jan. 20 the Violets traveled to West Chester, Pennsylvania to face West Chester University.

The Violets ended up earning a 199-98 win against the Division II school. This weekend of meets improves the team’s season record to 6-1.

The Violets will return to the pool for the team’s senior day against the University of Bridgeport on Saturday, Jan. 27 in New York.

Women’s Swimming and Diving

Women’s swimming and diving suffered losses against all three teams they faced this weekend.

On Friday, Jan. 19 the women’s team also traveled to Williamstown, Massachusetts to face Williams College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The group fell to Williams 214-85 and to MIT 155-45.

On Saturday, Jan. 20, NYU also traveled to West Chester, Pennsylvania to compete against West Chester University. However, the Violets again suffered a loss with a final score of 183-115. This weekend’s results moved the team’s overall season record to 3-4.

Women’s swimming and diving will also return to the pool for the team’s senior day against the University of Bridgeport on Saturday, Jan. 27 in New York.

Men’s Volleyball

On Friday, Jan. 19 men’s volleyball traveled to Lisle, Illinois to face Benedictine University in its season opening game.

The number-five-ranked Violets fell in three sets to Benedictine, with final scores of 25-17, 25-19, 25-23.

On Saturday, Jan. 20 the team was hosted by North Central College in Naperville, Illinois. The Violets made a comeback from their opening game, recording wins against both host North Central and Marian University.

The Violets will return to the court in Springfield, Massachusetts on Friday, Jan. 26 against Springfield College.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Jan. 22 print edition. Email Maddie Howard at [email protected]