Tisch Alumnus Pays Tribute to National Lampoon

Courtesy of John P. Fleenor

A scene from Tisch alumnus David Wain’s new comedy “A Futile and Stupid Gesture.” The new Netflix film is about the National Lampoon’s success in the ’60s and ’70s.

Jillian Harrington, Staff Writer

Films like “Animal House” and “Caddyshack” defined a genre and a generation — they were raucous, loud and, above all, hilarious. Mentioning the birth of modern comedy in the ’70s and ’80s without crediting National Lampoon co-creator Doug Kenney would be a disservice. Tisch alumnus David Wain sought out to tell the story of the birth of modern comedy in his new Netflix original film, “A Futile and Stupid Gesture,” which depicts Kenney’s rise and fall in glory and truth.

The film, based on Josh Karp’s 2006 book of the same name, begins with the creation of the satirical comedy magazine “National Lampoon” in 1970 by Harvard University student Kenney (Will Forte) and friend Henry Beard (Domhnall Gleeson), who modeled it after Harvard’s own satire magazine. Thus begins the rapid actualization of Kenney’s dream of becoming an icon, from articles to radio to eventual movies, with unprecedented suspense.

“A Futile and Stupid Gesture” is a demystifying testament of the sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll ethos of the 1970s. As the film progresses, Kenney struggles to stay afloat amid his success, experiencing breakdowns through the mediums of broken relationships and addiction.

“A Futile And Stupid Gesture,” while lighthearted in spirit and funny throughout, is a bitingly honest depiction of the man who changed comedy forever, giving to his revolutionary comedic inventions center stage.

Wain, known best for “Wet Hot American Summer” and “Role Models,” emulates Kenney’s boisterous humor by celebrating one-liners and chaotic energy. Thus for narrative’s sake, his ode to comedy is unabashedly biographical and fictional, addressing changes through the fourth wall. Suiting Kenney’s journey, “A Futile and Stupid Gesture” is as funny and light as it is dark and impactful. Through its cast, featuring the likes Joel McHale, Emmy Rossum and Ed Helms, the film humanizes certain comedy legends — the greats of “Saturday Night Live” and “National Lampoon” — who forever changed the game, giving credit to the man who made them.

“A Futile and Stupid Gesture” argues that Kenney’s name fits right alongside legends like Bill Murray, John Belushi, Chevy Chase Gilda Radner and more. The film pays tribute to Kenney through food fights and nostalgia, over-the-top antics and sincerity. Because of this raucousness, the film is difficult to follow at points, and communicates authentic moments in strangely comedic ways. “A Futile and Stupid Gesture” achieves its unique poignance through light and darkness and pays tribute to one of comedy’s oft-forgotten founding fathers.

“A Futile And Stupid Gesture” premiered Jan. 24 at Sundance Film Festival. It was released Friday, Jan. 26 on Netflix.

A version of this article appeared in the Jan. 29 print edition. Email Jillian Harrington at [email protected].