Dress Like the Kings and Queens of Hollywood Style

Laura Rubio, Staff Writer

The film and television industries have always been best known for doling out entertainment, but they also know how to serve looks. It’s impossible to definitively decide who the best dressed TV and movie characters are from throughout the years, but these five are certainly iconic.

1. Tony Manero, “Saturday Night Fever” (1977)

You can almost hear “Stayin’ Alive” by the Bee Gees just by looking at this image. John Travolta strutted down the streets of Brooklyn as Tony Manero in the 1977 film, “Saturday Night Fever”, and forever defined disco wear. His iconic look was an all-white ensemble, from the suit jacket to the tightly fitted dress pants. The only other color you can see are bits of black in the collar, the cuffs and the chest hair that peeked out from Travolta’s low-cut suit vest. After lacing up his black platform shoes, Tony Manero was ready to own that multi-colored dance floor.

1. Fran Fine, “The Nanny” (1993-1999)

You never knew what style the fashion queen from Flushing, Queens would be donning as she made her way down the Sheffield staircase. Fran Fine never shied away from bold colors or patterns, and it showed in the series’ six-year run. She was often seen in tight two-pieces, turtleneck sweaters tucked into pencil skirts and business-chic jackets galore. One thing that brought all these looks together? That ever-high hairdo.

1. Frank N. Furter, “Rocky Horror Picture Show” (1975)

He’s the “sweet transvestite from Transsexual, Transylvania”: Frank N. Furter (Tim Curry). Much can be said about the cult classic’s overall style, but it’s Frank N. Furter who took center stage with his untamed curls, eyebrows so sharp they could cut and a set of big white pearls strung around his neck — and that’s only what was above the shoulders. From the torso down, he sported elbow-length black gloves, a black rhinestone corset that popped open and black lace stockings held up by garters. It’s a look that would make anyone shiver with antici … pation.

1. Holly Golightly, “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” (1961)

It’s that timeless look that, by definition, never goes out of style. Audrey Hepburn played many iconic roles, from Eliza Doolittle in the film adaptation of “My Fair Lady” (1964) to her Oscar-winning performance as Princess Anne in “Roman Holiday” (1953). But nothing beats the elegant and coquettish Ms. Golightly. Her elbow-length black satin gloves, opulent pearl-diamond necklace and cigarette holder are still immediately recognized today, along with that little black Givenchy number, of course.

1. Rachel Green, “Friends” (1994-2004)

It’s hard to pinpoint one look that defines Rachel Green from “Friends,” but that’s kind of the point when it comes to our number-one pick. Rachel, played by Jennifer Aniston, owned every pair of jean overalls, mini-skirt and turtleneck sweater that came her way. She not only knew fashion — she lived it. During the show’s 10-year run, Rachel worked at companies like Bloomingdale’s and Ralph Lauren, and she was later offered a position by Louis Vuitton in Paris. If that wasn’t enough, she set in motion a national hair trend.

Email Laura Rubio at [email protected].