BØRNS Electrifies Terminal 5

Nicole Rosenthal, Staff Writer

Reminiscent of both youthful pop and vintage rock ’n’ roll, Garrett Borns — known as BØRNS — has made a name for himself in the indie pop music scene. On Thursday, he electrified Terminal 5.

The Michigan-based artist has built a steady fanbase since the release of his debut album “Dopamine” in 2015, which garnered significant attention on the charts (with single “Electric Love” peaking at #13 on Billboard Hot 100) and on social media. Featuring sugary synth arrangements, driving bass lines and brooding lyricism, BØRNS dazzled a sold-out audience at Terminal 5 on Friday in support of his sophomore release, “Blue Madonna.”

Framed by lush vegetation and a nearly all-female backing band, BØRNS transcended the stage donning a simple black suit and sporting his signature long locks. As hues of purple, blue and orange danced across the venue, the band dove into “God Save Our Young Blood,” originally a collaboration with Lana Del Rey, as well as the first track off of “Blue Madonna.”

BØRNS continued with tracks such as the arena-ready “Faded Heart” and psychedelic “Sweet Dreams,” performing his sophomore record in full.

Throughout the performance, audience members in the front rows tossed bunches of carnations, chrysanthemums and roses at the stage, with others holding them out directly at the artist to take.

“You know these only grow in the summertime,” BØRNS said, twirling around a single flower as the backing band prepared for “Second Night of Summer.”

The night continued with renditions of the new fan-favorite “I Don’t Want U Back” as well as “Tension (Interlude)” before breaking out a cover of Madonna’s “Holiday,” which sent the audience into a dancing frenzy.

The true marvel of the night was the illustrious cover of The Beatles’ “Strawberry Fields Forever,” featuring opening act Charlotte Cardin. Cardin and BØRNS met onstage to begin the encore. Bombarded with streaming lights of crimson and citrus, Cardin and BØRNS performed in luscious harmony to the classic tune.

The encore was filled with most of the highlights of “Dopamine” and his “Candy” extended play, namely “Past Lives,” “Seeing Stars” and “Holy Ghost.” The performance closed with none other than his hit “Electric Love,” a track which prompted everyone in the audience to sing along in unison. As the punching bass line clamored to a close, the elusive artist bowed once more toward the audience.

“New York City, you are beautiful,” he said.

Email Nicole Rosenthal at [email protected].