Where to Break Fast for Breakfast on Campus

Carina Pansch, Contributing Writer

Although breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day, so much so that it has a movie named after it — “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” — many students choose to forego this daily habit. Instead, students turn to coffee for a quick pick-me-up in the morning. Also because it is easy to bring to class without much of a mess.

Time is an interesting element in arguments over breakfast importance. Studying in the dim state between asleep and wide awake, CAS senior Aaron Baumgart said he is just not hungry enough to enjoy a proper breakfast.

“Before classes start, I have so many other things to organize than breakfast, but I try to eat balanced during the rest of the day,“ Baumgart said.

To support exactly that, many on-campus dining halls offer a breakfast menu until noon. This helps many students, including CAS sophomore Sophie Brach, who puts together her personal breakfast in Lipton Dining Hall.

“Here, you can have a bagel and scrambled eggs for lunch,” Brach said.

And because she prefers to eat with friends, she eats on campus during lunch breaks rather than at home in the morning.

NYU’s very own Palladium Dining Hall offers eggs benedict, milkshakes and a chocolate fountain every Sunday for its popular brunch. For just one meal swipe, students are given free reign over every foodie’s paradise.

However, there is no need to limit yourself to campus. Many places around Washington Square Park offer unique, classic breakfasts or lunches. With the fruity smoothies and nutritious bowls of Ono Bowls located on 33 E. 8th St., you can start your day just as easily as you would with a lackluster croissant from Starbucks — and be happier with your choice. If you’re willing to travel a bit farther, Urbanspace Vanderbilt located on East 45th Street and Vanderbilt Avenue is also another great alternative to a measly muffin breakfast. In the former’s industrial market hall, you are invited to stroll, look and marvel among the small food stalls of the various providers. The freshly prepared food can also be eaten on one of the lovely benches in the middle of the hall. Originally planned as a pop-up store, Urbanspace Vanderbilt is now set to remain permanently in Midtown. Given that it features an unbeatable selection of rotating concepts, you can have it all there — including a classy oyster menu, Mexican breakfast and of course, the classic New York Bagel. With vendors opening as early as 6:30 a.m. during the week, the spot boasts a substantial breakfast selection. For early birds, like businessmen and some unfortunate students, Urbanspace Vanderbilt serves as an ideal breakfast.

Most of the time, shifting your breakfast time to noon fits in better with the weekend rhythm. Straying from the easy, fast food expected of students during the week, the renowned brunch culture celebrates the pleasure of having breakfast for the whole weekend. With all these options, there really shouldn’t be an excuse for poor breakfast choices unless of course, waking up early is not your strong suit.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Feb. 26 print edition. Email Carina Pansch at [email protected].