Weekly Sports Update: March 21 to March 25

Maddie Howard

The NYU Baseball game on Saturday, Mar. 24.

Warner Radliff and Bela Kirpalani, Deputy Sports Editors

Baseball

The Violets split a double header against Haverford College. Following an 8-2 loss, the team rebounded recording a 13-3 win. The team’s record is now 13-1 for the season.

This weekend, the Violets will begin UAA play with a four-game home series against Washington University in St. Louis.

Softball

NYU softball had its home opening series against Western Connecticut State University in a double header sweep of the Colonials. The Violets demonstrated their strength at the plate with an impressive 21-6 victory in the second game.

Sixteen of the 18 batters for the Violets found themselves on base, with Stern junior Jacqueline Finn standing out with six RBIs for the day.

Men’s Swimming and Diving

The men’s swimming and diving team placed sixth at the NCAA Division III National Championships. The Violets earned 17 All-American honors and 14 Honorable Mentions over the course of the tournament.

SPS senior Ian Rainey made NYU history by capturing the school’s first men’s swimming national championship in the 200 yard individual medley with a time of 1:48.94.

Women’s Swimming and Diving

The women’s swimming and diving team marked the end of the 2017-18 season with a 10th-place finish at the NCAA Division III Swimming & Diving Championships on March 21 to 24 in Indianapolis, Indiana.

CAS first-year Sydney Catron was NYU’s top finisher in eighth place in the 200-yard backstroke in a time of 2:01.74.

CAS sophomore Carmen White placed 10th in the three-meter dive and earned an Honorable Mention All-American status.

The Violets earned a total of seven All-American honors and eight Honorable Mention All-America accolades.

Men’s Volleyball

Men’s volleyball won a pair of matches on March 24 against New Jersey City University and Ramapo College.

Stern sophomore Matin Bikdeli had a stand-out performance with a match-best 34 assists in the win against NJCU.

In the win against Ramapo College, Stern sophomore Alex Li led the match with 12 kills, while CAS sophomore Evan Lindley had nine kills.

A version of this article was published in the Monday, March 26 print edition. Contact Bela Kirpalani and Warner Radliff at [email protected].