Go Treasure Hunting at These Outdoor Markets

Sam Klein

The Union Square Greenmarket is open four days a week. Various stands sell produce, dairy, meat and dry goods.

Beth Sattur, Contributing Writer

Nothing compliments a sunny morning in the city like perusing booths filled with homemade jam or blooming carnations. Union Square Market and the Grand Bazaar are popular local markets, but here are some unique street markets you may not have heard of before.

On 90 Kent Ave. in Brooklyn, the Brooklyn Flea Market is doing something entirely new this year — it has teamed up with the food fair Smorgasburg, leaving behind its Fort Greene location, where it has been for the past nine years. This is the Saturday location, but on Sunday you can find the Brooklyn Flea Market in DUMBO. Both of these fairs have been at the East River State Park since Sunday, April 1, and will remain there until October. If you like vintage clothing, handmade artisanal accessories and hundreds of food vendors, the Brooklyn Flea Market is certainly worth the short subway ride. head on down to the Brooklyn Flea Market.

Another cool Brooklyn market, Artists & Fleas, can be found at 70 N. Seventh St. in Williamsburg. It’s open Saturday and Sunday every weekend from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and it even has an online shop. However, nothing compares to interacting with local artists, tasting artisanal food and finding new treasures from the vintage collectors in person. Artists & Fleas also has three permanent store locations in SoHo, Chelsea Market and Venice, California.

In Lower Manhattan, on the corner of Hester and Essex, is the Hester Street Fair. For eight years, the Hester Street Fair has helped empower small businesses, at least 40 of which saw their first profit at this market. With great prices and helpful vendors, Hester Street Fair has redefined the flea market. Every weekend is a different themed event, from “Girl Power with Lower East Side Girls Club” to “OMF: Outdoor Music and Food.” Check them out for a different, fun surprise every weekend.

For the night owls out there, Queens International Night Market is open from 6 p.m. to 12 a.m. starting Saturday, April 21 the New York Hall Of Science, on 47-01 111th St., Queens. This market is family-friendly and offers a myriad of food and art vendors from all around the world. It also features live performances from local artists.

Finally, in a quiet, unassuming corner of SoHo resides the NoLita Market, on Prince Street between Mott and Mulberry. From March to December, Friday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., the street corner is lined with tents. The craftsmen mostly sell unique jewelry, made from lesser-used metals such as copper, and there are handmade, organic clothing that is 100 percent cotton, with a few of the vendors even willing to take custom orders. It is fairly close to campus, less than a 15 minute walk and worth visiting after the last class on Friday.

With summer quickly approaching, these markets are the perfect places to spend a sunny afternoon.

Email Beth Sattur at [email protected].