Weekly Sports Update: April 15 to April 22

Julia Moses

The Men’s Volleyball game on March 20.

Men’s Tennis

On April 21, the NYU men’s tennis team was defeated by University Athletic Association opponent Case Western Reserve University 7-2. 

Providing NYU’s two wins, CAS senior Umberto Setter defeated his opponent in two sets in first seed singles (6-4, 7-5), and Stern sophomore Vishal Walia came back after a first-set loss to win his third seed singles match (3-6, 6-2, 10-5).

Later in the day, NYU narrowly defeated Ohio Wesleyan University 5-4. 

The Violets gained an important victory from CAS junior Shrikar Kundur and Stern sophomore Michael Li, as they won their second seed doubles match 8-4. 

Setter and Walia each had their second singles wins of the day after prevailing 6-4, 6-3, and 6-1, 6-2, respectively. Sealing the win for the Violets were fifth seed CAS junior Yanik Parsch, who won a close first set 6-4 and dominant second 6-1, and sixth seed CAS sophomore Zeb Zheng, who swiftly defeated his opponent in two sets (6-1, 6-2). 

Next, the Violets will head down to Altamonte Springs, Florida, for day one of the UAA Championships on April 26.

Baseball

Snapping a three-game losing streak, the NYU baseball team defeated John Jay College 13-4 on April 18, at MCU Park in Brooklyn, New York.

Six different pitchers threw for the Violets on Wednesday, including CAS sophomore Zach Cohen, who tossed three shutout innings, while striking out five Bloodhounds. 

On April 20, the Violets defeated Brandeis University 12-7, with SPS junior Colman Hendershot recording seven runs, and hitting three home runs in the win.

NYU split a doubleheader against Brandeis University on April 21, winning the first game 18-2 before losing 7-5 in the second game. Hendershot hit two home runs, while Stern sophomore and pitcher Ford Ladd allowed only two runs over six innings in the win.

With their twenty-fourth win of the season, NYU baseball set a program record for most wins in a season since NYU brought back baseball as a Division III program in 2014 following a 42-year hiatus from Division I status. 

On April 21, the Violets won their third game out of four against Brandeis University 9-8 and marked their first-ever UAA series victory.

Softball

On April 17, the NYU softball team swept the College of Saint Mount Vincent in a doubleheader, winning 9-1 and 10-0, respectively.

Stern junior Dakota Damiani walked twice, scored two runs, had a hit and a RBI in game one, while Gallatin sophomore Samantha Sicignano went 2-for-3 and scored two runs in the second win.

On April 20, the Violets split a doubleheader against Brandeis University, losing the first game 5-0 before winning the second game 4-3. In the win, Steinhardt junior Diana King finished 2-for-2 in the contest with two stolen bases. Gallatin junior and pitcher Cassi Parulis pitched 6.1 innings, allowing one earned run and striking out four.

In its final home games of the season, NYU softball swept Brandeis University on April 21, winning 6-3 and 7-5, respectively. The Violets honored their lone Tandon senior, Sage Scheiwiller, in a pre-game ceremony. 

College of Nursing sophomore and pitcher Scarlett Murphy allowed only two runs and struck out four in the first game.

NYU softball will return to the diamond on April 24 for a doubleheader against Hunter College.

Women’s Track & Field

The women’s track and field team took fourth place at the Vassar College Invitational in Poughkeepsie, New York on April 21. 

CAS senior Alexa Goldman secured a first place finish for the Violets in the 400 meter hurdles with a time of 1:10:35.

Three Violets finished in the top five of the triple jump events with CAS sophomore Evelyn Nkanga, Stern senior Brianna Yee and LS first-year Kobi Kane finishing in second, third and fourth respectively.

CAS first-year Anna Walewski finished in the top five in two events with a fourth place finish in the 400-meter dash and fifth place finish in the 200-meter dash. Steinhardt junior Olivia Kobayashi finished just ahead of Walewski in the 400-meter dash with a third place finish.

A trio of Violets had top ten performances in the 1,500-meter event with Steinhardt sophomore Elizabeth Ward placing sixth, CAS first-year Mary Neville placing seventh and Stern junior Karen Yao placing eighth. 

The women’s track and field team will compete next at the UAA Conference Championships at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania over the April 28 to 29 weekend.  

Men’s Track & Field

The Violets travelled to Poughkeepsie, New York where they earned a second place finish at the Vassar College Invitational on April 21. 

Two Violets headed the high jump with a first place finish by CAS junior William Lee and second place finish by CAS first-year Joseph Forrler.

The 4×400 meter team of SPS first-year Shawn Andrade, SPS sophomore Julian Montilus, Stern junior Soham Kamat and Stern senior Vince Booth took first place with a time of 3:29:79.

Steinhardt senior Jordan Reyes completed the 3,000-meter steeplechase nearly 15 seconds ahead of the runner-up, capturing another first place finish for the Violets.

The Violets will travel to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on April 28 to compete at the UAA Conference Championships at Carnegie Mellon University. 

Women’s Golf

The women’s golf team placed second at the Jack Leaman Invitational at the Amherst Golf Club in Amherst, Massachusetts over the April 21 to 22 weekend. The Violets will compete next at the Liberty League Championships at St. Lawrence Golf Course in Canton, New York on April 28 and 29.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 23 print edition. Email Warner Radliff and Bela Kirpalani at [email protected] and [email protected]