Weekly Sports Update: April 22 to April 29

via gonyuathletics.com

Stern senior Max Mudd won the UAA 10,000-Meter Championship for the men’s track & field team on April 28.

Warner Radliff and Bela Kirpalani

Baseball

On April 22, the NYU baseball team defeated Brandeis University 9-8. The win was the Violets’ third in the four-game series against the Judges and the first-ever University Athletic Association series victory for the program.

On April 25, the Violets defeated Yeshiva University 13-3. SPS junior Colman Hendershot went 2-for-4 with a double, scored two runs and had two RBIs. Hendershot leads all NCAA Division III hitters with 59 RBIs, which is already a single-season program record.

NYU lost to Emory University 5-2 on April 27, and then dropped both games of its doubleheader against Emory University on April 28, losing 11-4 and 10-2, respectively.

On April 29, the Violets defeated Emory University 11-7. Stern junior Ryan McLaughlin went 4-for-4 and had 3 RBIs. It was also Family/Alumni day for the Violets, whose overall record is now 27-11.

Softball

On April 24, the NYU softball team swept Hunter College in a doubleheader on Randall’s Island. The Violets won the first game 5-3 in extra innings, with Gallatin junior and pitcher Cassi Parulis striking out eight batters. NYU won the second game 10-7, and Steinhardt junior Diana King went 4-for-4, scored four times, hit one home run and stole two bases.

On April 27, the Violets played Emory University in a doubleheader. The Violets dropped both games, losing the first game 7-1 before losing the second 6-3.

On April 28, NYU softball fell to Emory University in another doubleheader, losing the first game 5-1 and the second game 3-2.

The Violets will conclude regular-season play next weekend with another UAA four-game series. They will face Washington University in St. Louis for doubleheaders on May 4 and May 5.

Women’s Tennis

On April 22, the NYU women’s tennis team defeated Skidmore College 7-2. Stern first-year Anna Maria Buraya and CAS sophomore Coco Kulle won 8-2 in second seed doubles, while Stern sophomores Rupa Ganesh and Judy Kam came back to win 8-6 in its third seed doubles match.

The Violets suffered their first loss of the season to the University of Chicago 6-3 on April 27, before falling to Brandeis University 6-3 on April 28.

The NYU women’s tennis team ended their season with a win over the University of Rochester 7-2 in UAA Championships on April 29 in Altamonte Springs, Florida.

The Violets (10-2) close out their highly successful season as the seventh overall team in the UAA and 17th best in the nation.

Men’s Tennis

The men’s tennis team competed at the UAA Championship in Altamonte Springs, Florida over April 26 to 28. The Violet’s began competition on April 26 with a 9-0 loss to the University of Chicago, with subsequent losses to Case Western Reserve University on April 27 and the University of Rochester on April 28 to round out the tournament.

The Violets ended the season with a 5-10 record.

Women’s Golf

The women’s golf team travelled to Canton, New York over the April 28 to 29 weekend to compete in the Liberty League Championship at the Appleton Golf Course. With inclement weather leading to the cancelation of the second and final rounds of the tournament on Sunday April 29, the Violets’ first round performance on Saturday was enough to capture first place, and the team’s fourth straight Liberty League title.

All five golfers on the roster were influential in securing the championship with all five finishing in the top 10. Of the leaders, three Violets landed in the top five with CAS senior Alyssa Poentis placing second, SPS junior Patty Treevichaphan placing third and CAS junior Jenni Bluetling placing fourth.

The Violets will return to the links over April 8 to 11 to compete at the NCAA Championship in Howey-in-the-Hills, Florida.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 30 print edition. Email Warner Radliff and Bela Kirpalani at [email protected].