Weekly Sports Update: Women’s Soccer Team Breaks Goal Record

Sam Klein

Sophomore Oliver Kleban takes a shot in a September 2018 game against John Jay. (Photo by Sam Klein)

Men’s Soccer

The men’s soccer team defeated John Jay College 2-0 on Wednesday, Sept. 12.

Stern first-year Oliver Kleban scored NYU’s first goal before fellow Stern first-year Pablo Vargas doubled the team’s  lead.

The Violets won their fifth straight game on Saturday, comfortably defeating Hunter College 4-0.

Stern first-year Louie Meeks notched his first collegiate goal, just before Stern sophomore Matteo Russo made it 2-0 with his second goal of the season. Later in the match, Kleban continued his hot start to the season, scoring his fifth goal in four games. CAS first-year Vince Bulzoni capped off the win with the team’s fourth goal.

The men’s soccer team returns to action on Wednesday, Sept. 19 at 7 p.m. when they will host Baruch College.

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer team set a new NYU record for most goals scored in a game, after it waltzed to a 15-0 (yes, you read that right) win over the City College of New York.

NYU’s previous single-game record for goals scored was 11, set in both 1996 and 2000.

CAS juniors Alex Benedict and Jade Keane each scored two goals in the first half while CAS sophomore Tori Bianco bagged a hat trick. CAS first-year Ellie Marks and CAS junior Isabella de Almagro also got on the scoresheet in the first half.

The onslaught continued in the second half, with Keane completing her hat trick and a goal apiece from de Almagro, Tisch sophomore Lila Ketz, Stern junior Isabelle Turner, CAS junior Ashley Krygowski and CAS senior Maddie Peña.

The Violets will face off against the University of Scranton on Tuesday, Sept. 18 at 7 p.m.

Men’s Cross Country

The men’s cross country team finished in second place with 75 points at the Bill Fritz/Charlie Way Invitational on Sept. 15 in Glassboro, N.J.

Tisch senior Ben Haderle led the way for NYU, finishing in ninth place with 26:48.91 while GLS junior Ben Karam finished right behind in 10th with  26:51.47. Both runners were competing for the first time this season.

Also making their season debuts were CAS sophomores Dillan Spector and Jonathan Sussman, finishing in 14th and 15th place, respectively.

Rounding off the action for the Violets, Tandon first-year Toni Macabantad took 32nd place.

The men’s cross country team travels to Lehigh University next for the Paul Short Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 29.

Women’s Cross Country

The women’s cross country team claimed fifth place at the Bill Fritz/Charlie Way Invitational on Sept. 15, ending with 139 points.

Gallatin first-year Valentina House led the team for the third week in a row, finishing in eighth place with 23:34.01. CAS junior Isabella Steains finished in 20th place in the competition with 24:15.77. Also competing for NYU were Stern senior Karen Yao and Tandon sophomore Mary Grace Neville, finishing in 48th place and 53rd
place, respectively.

The Violets will be back in action on Saturday, Sept. 29 at the Paul Short Invitational in Bethlehem, Pa.

Women’s Volleyball

The women’s volleyball team defeated the College of New Rochelle in three sets (25-11, 25-18, 26-24) on Tuesday, Sept. 11.

The Violets won two matches as part of the Knights Invitational on Friday, Sept. 14, defeating Moravian College in four sets (25-21, 25-18, 19-25, 25-18) before clinching a win against Widener University in another four-set victory (19-25, 25-19, 25-16, 29-27).

NYU concluded the Knights Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 15 with two more wins. The women’s volleyball team defeated host Neumann University in straight sets (25-23, 25-11, 25-21) before completing the four-match sweep with a win against the University of Scranton (25-16, 21-25,
25-22, 25-19).

The Violets will return to the court on Thursday, Sept. 20 at 7 p.m. when they travel to the College of Mount St. Vincent.

Men’s Tennis

The men’s tennis team opened its fall season at the Connecticut College/U.S. Coast Guard Academy Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 15 in New London, Conn.

Battling against Connecticut College, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, Springfield College and Roger Williams University, the Violets combined to finish 16-9 across all brackets in the tournament, going 11-6 in singles and 5-3 in doubles.

CAS first-year Christian Otero and Stern first-year Levi Shlyankevich made their collegiate debuts, each going 2-0 in the singles round. Otero beat his opponents (6-0, 6-1 and 6-0, 6-0), while Shlyankevich won his first round (6-1, 7-5) before defeating his second-round opponent (6-0, 6-1).

Otero and CAS senior Shrikar Kundur partnered to win both matches in the doubles round, 8-1 each time. CAS junior Joshua Piatos and Stern senior Benedict Teoh also went 2-0 in the doubles round, topping their opponents by scores of 8-4, 8-5.

The Violets continue their season on Saturday, Sept. 22 at 10 a.m. at the College of New Jersey Invitational.

Women’s Tennis

The women’s tennis team competed in the Vassar Scramble on Saturday, Sept. 15 in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

Facing off against Vassar College, Connecticut College and SUNY New Paltz, the Violets went 5-7 in singles play and 2-0 in doubles.

CAS junior Coco Kulle was NYU’s standout player, winning both of her singles matches (5-7, 6-4, 10-6 and 6-1, 6-1) as well as her doubles match alongside partner Flyora
Shiyanova (8-6).

CAS sophomore Kate Shaffer (6-3, 6-2) and Stern junior Judy Kam (6-4, 6-1) also secured singles victories, before teaming up to win their doubles match 8-3.

Men’s Golf

The men’s golf team finished in third place at the Duke Nelson Invitational on Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 15 and 16, in Middlebury, Vt.

Stern first-year Moibhi Tyndall was the top finisher for NYU, shooting a two-day score of 144 (72-72) to finish third among 111 players.

Another standout performer was fellow Stern first-year Joseph Burlison, who finished in 10th place with a 36-hole score of 147 (70-77).

The Violets return to the course on Saturday, Sept. 22 at the Liberty League Championship Fall Preview.

Women’s Golf

The women’s golf team won the St. Lawrence Invitational on Sunday, Sept. 9 after shooting a team-record 293 on Saturday.

CAS senior Jenni Bluetling was recognized as the Liberty League’s Performer of the Week after she won the individual title by shooting a two-day score of 146, including a one-under-par 71 on Saturday.

Stern first-year Arshia Mahant was named Rookie of the Week following her two-day score of 149 (73-76).

NYU will return to action on Saturday, Sept. 22 at the Mount Holyoke Invitational at 9 a.m.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday Sept. 17 print edition. Email Bela Kirpalani at [email protected].