Weekly Sports Update: Men’s Soccer Team Wins Seventh Straight

Sam Klein

Richie Rambarran (front) scored one of NYU’s goals in a 3-0 victory over Brooklyn College on Sept. 22.

Men’s Soccer

On Sept. 19, the NYU men’s soccer team recovered from a 2-0 deficit to beat Baruch College 3-2.

The Violets comfortably won their seventh straight game on Saturday, Sept. 22, defeating Brooklyn College 3-0.

CAS senior Robert Shellow opened the scoring for the Violets with his first goal of the season. In the second half, GLS junior Owen Smith slotted a penalty in before Stern sophomore Richie Rambarran scored a header for NYU’s third goal of the game.

NYU looks to make it eight in a row when it hosts Drew University on Tuesday, Sept. 25 at 7 p.m.

Women’s Soccer

The NYU women’s soccer team suffered a tough 2-1 loss on Sept. 18 against the University of Scranton.

On Saturday, Sept. 22, NYU fell 2-0 to Mount Saint Mary College. After the loss, the Violets’ record sits at 3-4-0.

The Violets will return to action against Centenary University in Hackettstown, New Jersey on Tuesday, Sept. 25 at 7 p.m.

Women’s Volleyball

The NYU women’s volleyball team defeated the College of Mount Saint Vincent on Thursday, Sept. 20 in four sets (25-13, 24-26, 25-23, 25-19).

The NYU women’s volleyball team split a pair of matches on Friday, Sept. 21.

NYU had its six-match winning streak snapped after losing to Middlebury College in three sets (25-19, 30-28, 25-22).

CAS first-year Gretchen Kincade led the team with eight kills while SPS senior Katie Goyette and Tandon first-year Stella Alverson each had 11 assists.

In its second match of the day, NYU defeated Ramapo College in straight sets (25-18, 25-18, 25-17).

This time, CAS senior Nazzerine Waldon led the team with 10 kills while GLS sophomore Jackie Kupeli had 14 digs. Goyette and Alverson had 17 and 15 assists, respectively.

The Violets will begin University Athletic Association play next weekend with three matches hosted by Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts on Sept. 29 and Sept. 30.

Women’s Tennis

The NYU women’s tennis team completed its first day of competition at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Northeast Regional Championships on Saturday, Sept. 22.

In the singles round, Stern junior Judy Kam, CAS junior Coco Kulle and Stern senior Flyora Shiyanova defeated their respective opponents and moved on to the round of 16 taking place on Sunday, Sept. 23.

Kulle and Shiyanova partnered to win their doubles match (8-1, 8-4), while Kam and FAS sophomore Kate Shaffer also came out on top in their match (8-6, 8-6).

Men’s Tennis

The NYU men’s tennis team completed its first day of action at The College of New Jersey Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 22.

The Violets compiled an 8-4 record in doubles play after facing off against TCNJ, Stevens Institute of Technology and Dickinson College.

CAS first-year Christian Otero went undefeated on the day, partnering with CAS senior Shrikar Kundur to win 8-5 and Stern first-year Levi Shlyankevich to earn two wins, 7-4 and 8-2, respectively.

Kundur won his other matches 8-2 with doubles partner and CAS junior Zeb Zheng.

Men’s Golf

The NYU men’s golf team competed at the Liberty League Fall Preview on Saturday, Sept. 22.

Stern sophomore Patrick McNary and Tisch sophomore Robbie Keyes led the first round of competition for the Violets, finishing with scores of 75 and 77, respectively.

Women’s Golf

The NYU women’s golf team ended day one of the Mount Holyoke Invitational in third place on Saturday, Sept. 22.

SPS senior Patty Treevichaphan led the way for NYU after shooting a three-over-par 75.

Stern first-year Arshia Mahant shot a six-over-par 78 and is in ninth place, while GLS junior Arisa Kimura is currently tied for 19th after scoring a nine-over-par 81 in the first round.

The Violets will return to the course next weekend at the Williams College Fall Invitational in Williamstown, Massachusetts.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Sept. 24 print edition. Email Bela Kipalani at [email protected]