An Island Getaway Close to Home

Jasem Alzaabi

A cone of Mr. Softee ice cream.

Jasem Alzaabi, Columnist

Governors Island sits 800 yards away from the southernmost tip of Manhattan and is touted as the easiest way to get away in New York City — and for good reason. Though seemingly far, it is the perfect place to spend an adventurous afternoon with friends before winter sets in.

The New York Senate and Assembly recognize Governors Island as the birthplace of the state of New York, as it was the landing place of the first Dutch settlers. The island played an important role during the Battle of Brooklyn against the British Navy in the 18th century and was central to the defense of New York during the American Civil War. Fort Jay and Castle Williams still stand to this day, both of which you can explore when you visit Governors Island.

Today, the area is run by the Governors Island Preservation and Education Corporation and the National Park service. You’ll have to take a 10-minute ferry ride from Battery Park to get to the island. The second you get off the boat, you will realize what makes the island so unique. Looking out at Manhattan makes you feel like you’re in your own little world, abandoned buildings and all.

A popular attraction on the island is the bike rentals station. There are few experiences that compare to cycling the perimeter of the island, listening to the lapping water hit the rocks and seeing the beautiful skyline moving past you.

An unexpected appeal to the island is the solace it provides. There’s a grassy area in the shadow of Castle Williams that is perfect for cloud watching. Or, if you wander around enough, you’ll find a hammock enclave where visitors can go for midday nap in the sun. It is remarkable how much peace one can find in the quietness of Governors Island.  Its stillness stands out against the busy and loud life of New York City.

Walking around the island you’ll find a skating rink, a maze and a zipline. You’ll also be able to see pop-up white tents where New Yorkers go camping outside of the city. Food trucks are your best option for food on the island, and I recommend looking for the Mr. Softee ice cream truck and getting a vanilla ice cream with sprinkles. If you plan your trip right, Governors Island also offers opportunities to stay late and experience the city at night. Watching the sunset from the hammocks, and seeing Manhattan light up like fireflies is a beautiful experience.

Governors Island may be the most underrated part of this unique city; it is a place you can get a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately, Governors Island is a fleeting entity, as access to the island is restricted during the fall and winter seasons beginning in October. Before it goes into hibernation, get out there and experience the charm.

Correction Oct. 3, 2018: This article previously stated that Governors Island was known for holding the Governors Ball Music Festival. However, the festival has not taken place on Governors Island since 2011. The article has since been updated. 

Email Jasem Alzaabi at [email protected].