Alex Domb

Alex Domb, News Editor

Alex is a sophomore studying Politics and Journalism in CAS. He holds dual U.S. and U.K. citizenships, but he grew up in central New Jersey and will take advantage of any excuse to defend his home state at all costs. In his spare time, Alex enjoys debating the latest NBA trade, attempting to navigate the subway or wolfing down a slice of 99 cent pizza. Justify his shameless Twitter plug by dropping him a follow @dombalex.

All content by Alex Domb
Tisch hosted info sessions concerning the LA study away site. (Photo by Alex Domb)

Photo: LA Program ‘Not For You If You Want to be An Actor’

Feb 6, 2019

NYUs Abu Dhabi campus. NYU faculty held a townhall to discuss the universitys relationship with the satellite campus. (Courtesy of Aizaz Ansari)

Hamilton to Address Faculty Concerns About UAE

With its degree-granting campus in Abu Dhabi, NYU remains inextricably tied to the United Arab Emirates as its government received international condemnation over the imprisonment of a British doctoral student — that the government has since pardoned.
Alex Domb and Meghna Maharishi Nov 26, 2018
The NYU Abu Dhabi campus. Courtesy NYUAD.

208 Faculty Members Urge NYU to Condemn UAE Over British Student’s Sentencing

The UAE’s life sentencing of Durham University postgraduate student Matthew Hedges has prompted NYU faculty to call on university administrators to defend principles of academic freedom.
Alex Domb, News Editor Nov 24, 2018

Following a United Arab Emirates trial in which a Durham University postgraduate student, Matthew Hedges, was sentenced to life in prison on spying charges, 208 NYU professors...

“Vote Here” signs in multiple languages outside the polling center in University Hall. (Photo by Alina Patrick)

Midterm Results Signal a New Wave of Progressive Policies for New York

Featuring momentous local and national results, the 2018 midterm elections are poised to have a tangible effect on NYU, New York and the nation as a whole.
Alex Domb, News Editor Nov 8, 2018
Graphic by Tony Wu.

New York Prepares for Pivotal Elections

Ahead of Tuesday’s midterms, a preview of the races most pertinent to the NYU community.
Alex Domb, News Editor Nov 5, 2018
Graphic by Tony Wu. Photo source: Janine Moraes/Câmara dos Deputados

Brazilian NYU Community Divided Over Far-Right President-Elect

Far from home, Brazilian students remained closely engaged with their home country’s most contentious election in years.
Alex Domb, News Editor Nov 1, 2018

In the wake of a divisive campaign season, 55 percent of the Brazilian electorate elected Jair Bolsonaro to the presidency on Sunday. A far-right candidate, Bolsonaro ran on a...

via Flickr.com

NYU Postpones Milo Yiannopoulos Halloween Talk at Mayor Bill de Blasio’s Request

Yiannopoulos was scheduled to talk to Professor Michael Rectenwald's writing class.
Alex Domb, News Editor Oct 30, 2018
Yiannopoulos was scheduled to talk to Professor Michael Recentwald’s writing class.
Why You Should Feel Better About Your B+ (and Worse About Your A-)

Alex Domb, News Editor Oct 25, 2018
NYU recently announced major changes made to the GPA grading scale.
NYU Law Review was sued over its editorial board selections. (Photo by Tony Wu)

NYU and Harvard Law Reviews Sued Over Editorial Selection Process

Alex Domb, News Editor Oct 12, 2018

In a time of retaliation against affirmative action policies, NYU Law Review has been sued over allegedly considering race and sex in its annual selection of editors and publication...

Caution tape remains after the shut down of the L train Tuesday afternoon.

NYU First-Year Struck by Subway Train, Pronounced Dead

Reports confirm the student died earlier today, and suggest the cause was suicide.
Alex Domb and Kristina Hayhurst Oct 2, 2018
NYU Freshman hit by the L-train and is pronounced dead on the scene.
238 Thompson Rooftop Garden, one of NYU’s landscaping projects, sits on top of the Global Center for Academic and Spiritual Life. (Staff photo by Tony Wu)

NYU Inches Toward Carbon Neutrality

Kristina Hayhurst and Alex Domb Oct 1, 2018
Coverage of new sustainability initiatives are being enacted by NYU, including eliminating plastic straws and installing solar panels on Bobst.
The NYU Wellness app allows students to directly chat with Wellness Exchange counselors.

NYU Bets You Would Text a Therapist

The Wellness Center rolled out text-based therapy, but its efficacy is still unproven.
Alex Domb, News Editor Sep 17, 2018
Satellite image showing Hurricane Florence approaching the East Coast.

When a Hurricane Hits Home: Students Brace For Florence

Many NYU students hail from the states that are slated to be hit by Hurricane Florence.
Alex Domb, News Editor Sep 13, 2018
New York Primary Elections are happening tomorrow. Candidates, from left to right: Andrew Cuomo and Cynthia Nixon running for the state governor; Kathy Hochul and Jumaane Williams running for lieutenant governor; Leecia Eve, Letitia James, Sean Patrick Maloney and Zephyr Teachout running for attorney general.

How You Can Vote in the Sept. 13 Primary Election

Here's how and where to vote in the primary elections.
Alex Domb, News Editor Sep 12, 2018
The NYU Langone Medical Center, located on First Avenue. (Photo by Tony Wu)

Free Med School Ignites Supporters, Skeptics

Langone hopes the move will drive doctors to less lucrative positions, but critics question effectiveness.
Alex Domb and Kristina Hayhurst Sep 4, 2018
A boy jumps while holding his two guardians hands in Washington Square Park, the location .

What You Missed Over Break

Kristina Hayhurst and Alex Domb Aug 26, 2018
A recap of all the news you may have missed this summer.
NYU professor and renowned feminst Avita Ronell has been accused of sexual harassment by former graduate advisee Nimrod Reitman.

Student Sues NYU Over Sexual Harassment

Alex Domb, News Editor Aug 26, 2018
A former NYU graduate student sues the school after accusing his professor of sexual misconduct.
                                         Judge Katherine B. Forrest ruled in NYUs favor on Tuesday in a lawsuit alleging that the university mismanaged faculty members retirement plans.

NYU Defeats Employees in Retirement Plan Lawsuit

Alex Domb and Kristina Hayhurst Aug 3, 2018
NYU prevailed in a lawsuit brought forth in March by a group of employees claiming the university mishandled faculty retirement plans.
NYUs proposed budget for the 2018-2019 academic year shows a 3.1 percent increase from the 2017-2018 budget.

NYU Endowment Eclipses $4 Billion, Cost of Attendance to Rise 2.7 Percent in 2018-2019

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor May 15, 2018
NYU's annual budget proposal for the 2018-2019 school year was released Monday afternoon.
The Former Downstein Manager’s $5 Million Lawsuit Against NYU and Aramark, Explained

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor May 3, 2018
Detailed summary of the lawsuit being filed against NYU and Aramark by a terminated employee.
Downstein Passport Dining, where the Black History Month meal was served.

Lawsuit From Former Downstein Manager Reveals Aramark Misled Public About Insensitive Black History Month Meal

NYU and Aramark face a five million dollar lawsuit. The suit alleges wrongful termination of an Aramark employee after February's insensitive Black History Month meal.
The front of NYU Langones Vilcek Hall

NYU Langone Student Takes Own Life in Residence Hall

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor May 1, 2018
The body of Andrea Liu, a fourth-year medical student studying radiology, was found in her dorm room this morning.
Liberal Studies Professor John Ward Regan

LS Professor No Longer Teaching After Allegations of Sexual Misconduct Surface

Alex Domb and Yasmin Gulec Apr 26, 2018
Liberal Studies Professor J. Ward Regan no longer has teaching responsibilities at NYU after news emerged of sexual relations he had with a 15-year-old student in a class he was teaching in the early 1990s.
Staff Member Receives Harassing Phone Call at 4:20 p.m.

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Apr 23, 2018
A list of crimes reported to Public Safety from April 18 to 20.
Princeton University is full of beautiful architecture and landscaping

Princeton, New Jersey

Historic Princeton, NJ offers quaint, small-town views.
At a public town hall in April, NYU President Andrew Hamilton denounced the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement as against the principles of academic freedom.

Hamilton Denounces BDS, Acknowledges Racism in Stern at Town Hall

Mack DeGeurin, Sakshi Venkatraman, and Alex Domb Apr 20, 2018
Tensions ran high at a town hall between President Hamilton and students as a large cohort of student activists criticized the administration.
SLAM and NYU Divest protestors handing out informational flyers while occupying Kimmel on Apr. 9 2018.

NYU to Respond to Faculty Outcry Against Administration’s Treatment of Activists

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Apr 17, 2018
More professors have signed the letter to Andrew Hamilton speaking out against the way the university administration handled SLAM and Divest's occupation of Kimmel last week.
Unidentified Man Graffitis Washington Mews

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Apr 16, 2018
A recap of crimes reported to Public Safety from April 7 to April 12.
SLAM and NYU Divest protestors occupied Kimmel overnight on the night of April 9 — and for as long as it takes for their demands heard. With sleeping bags and supplies, they appear to be prepared for the long night ahead.

105 Professors Express ‘Grave Concern’ Over Administration’s Treatment of Student Activists

92 professors came out and and expressed 'grave concerns' over threats issued to SLAM and Divest protestors by NYU.
Student activists gather on the staircase of the Kimmel Center for University Life during Weekend on the Square to protest for a meeting with the Board of Trustees

Student Activists Rally at Weekend on the Square

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Apr 14, 2018
The Student Labor Action Movement and NYU Divest filled the Kimmel Center for University Life staircase during Weekend on the Square to continue their ongoing protest for a town meeting with the Board of Trustees.
SLAM and NYU Divest protestors officially ended their occupation after administrators threatened disciplinary action.

Kimmel Occupation Halted After Administrators Threaten Disciplinary Action

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Apr 12, 2018
After facing threat of disciplinary action, members of NYU SLAM and NYU Divest have ended their overnight occupation of the Kimmel Center for University Life.

19 Student Activists Defy Administration, Occupy Kimmel Overnight

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Apr 10, 2018
Despite threats of disciplinary action, members of SLAM and NYU Divest plan to demonstrate on the Kimmel steps until their demands for representation and transparency are met by administrators.
Inside the Supreme Court of the United States.

NYU Takes Legal Action Against Trump Travel Ban

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Apr 9, 2018
On March 30, NYU lawyers filed an amicus curiae brief against the latest iteration of President Donald Trump’s “travel ban.”
Protestors from SLAM and NYU Divest occupy the staircase of the Kimmel Center for University Life on March 28.

Activists Prepare for Kimmel Occupation After Administration Rejects Demands

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Apr 6, 2018

NYU Divest and the Student Labor Action Movement are preparing to occupy the Kimmel Center for University Life after NYU administrators denied a series of demands Friday afternoon. NYU...

Dean of Admissions Shawn Abbott

Dean of Admissions to Leave NYU for Temple University

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Apr 3, 2018
Shawn Abbott has accepted a Vice Provost position at Temple University after eight years at NYU.
A demonstrator holds a banner that demands NYU to terminate all investments in fossil fuel companies.

An Inside Look at the Group Pushing NYU’s Administration

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Apr 2, 2018
Behind the scenes with the Student Labor Action Movement, who championed resolutions for student and faculty trustees that were recently approved in the University Senate.

Divest and SLAM Suspend Occupation After Meeting With Administrators

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Mar 30, 2018
The groups cited four reasons for ending their occupation, while threatening further action if their demands are not met.
Demonstrators marching from the Admissions Center to the Kimmel Center for University Life yesterday, chanting and handing out flyers outlining their demands to passersby.

University Senate Approves Resolutions for Student and Faculty Representation on the Board of Trustees

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Mar 29, 2018
SLAM's demands were heard at the University Senate Meeting today, asking for more student and faculty representation on the Board of Trustees.

Divest and SLAM Relocate to Kimmel, Escalate Occupation

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Mar 28, 2018
After three days of occupying the Bonomi Family Admissions Center, NYU Divest and SLAM have relocated their occupation to the staircase of the Kimmel Center for University Life.
Demonstrators displayed posters advocating for fossil fuel divestment and improved student representation.

Divest and SLAM Occupy New Admissions Center, Demand Trustee Action

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Mar 26, 2018
NYU Divest and the Student Labor Action Movement occupied the first floor of the Bonomi Family Admissions Center on Monday.
Tandon Students Verbally Abuse Public Safety Officers on Two Consecutive Nights

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Mar 19, 2018
A recap of crimes reported to Public Safety from March 5 to 15.
The Thurgood Marshall United States Courthouse in Lower Manhattan.

NYU Sued Over Retirement Plans, Trial Set for April

Alex Domb and Kristina Hayhurst Mar 5, 2018
NYU is being sued for allegedly mishandling faculty members' 403(b) retirement plans. A trial date is set for April 2018.
Police Arrest Undresser at West 4th Street Starbucks

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Feb 26, 2018
A list of crimes reported to NYU Public Safety from Feb. 16 to Feb. 24.
The second floor lounge in Lipton Residence Hall

‘Offensive’ Symbols Discovered in Lipton Residence Hall

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Feb 21, 2018
Two offensive symbols were found in a lounge in Lipton Residence Hall.
A student reports an incident to the Bias Response Line.

Bias Response Line Releases Pilot Report — Annotated Facts and Figures

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Feb 19, 2018

Number of reports by semester:  The relatively low number of reports in the spring 2016 semester reflects Bias Response Line's May 2016 debut date, and thus spring 2016 was a...

The Bias Response Line report is now available to the public.

Bias Response Line Delivers First Report, Two Semesters Late

Alex Domb and Sayer Devlin Feb 14, 2018
The Bias Response Line has released its initial report two semesters later than scheduled.
Student Assaulted by Partner in Weinstein Residence Hall

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Feb 12, 2018
A list of crimes reported to Public Safety from Feb. 4 to 11.
August had filed a report with NYUs Bias Response Line against Professor Edgar Coons for alleged transphobic behavior. The professor has not been disciplined.

Professor Not Disciplined for Alleged Transphobia — Without Explanation from NYU

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Feb 8, 2018
Despite being reported for transphobia in November, Professor Edgar Coons was not disciplined by CAS, and NYU has yet to offer an explanation.
Some students started lining up at 1.30 p.m. for Ruth Bader Ginsburgs 4.30 p.m. event at NYU Law.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Speaks at NYU Law School

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Feb 6, 2018
84-year old Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a progressive judicial icon, spoke at NYU Law on Monday afternoon.
Kayla, experiencing homelessness in New York City, discusses the issues of living on the streets during the winter.

In Conversation with the Homeless of Greenwich Village

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Feb 5, 2018
Interviews with members of Greenwich Village's homeless community reveal the struggles and stigmas associated with the lack of shelter and stability in New York's blistering winter.
NYU names Cecil Scheib as the new Assistant Vice President for Sustainability. Scheib will lead school-wide sustainability efforts in the hope of making the University a more environmentally-friendly campus.

NYU Names Leading Sustainability Administrator

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Jan 22, 2018
NYU has named Cecil Scheib as its new Assistant Vice President for Sustainability.
Student Reports Missing Silverware in Coral

A list of crimes reported to Public Safety from Jan. 3 to 20.
NYU Divest and NYU SLAM attempted conversations with some members of the Board of Trustees with limited success.

Divest and SLAM Confront High-Profile Trustees in Kimmel

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Dec 11, 2017

Members of NYU Divest and the Student Labor Action Movement occupied exits of the Kimmel Center for University Life to track down trustees following Tuesday’s Board of Trustees...

Divest Suspends Elevator Occupation

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Dec 4, 2017
NYU Divest ended its occupation of a Bobst elevator after it found out that NYU did not hold direct investments in fossil fuel companies Anadarko and Noble.
Members of NYU Divest and NYU SLAM have said that they will occupy the executive elevator in Bobst until their demands are met.

NYU Divest Occupying Administrative Elevator in Bobst until Demands Met

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Dec 1, 2017
NYU Divest is occupying Bobst's administrative elevator until university leaders meet three of the group's demands.
Two NYU Abu Dhabi seniors, Maitha Salem AlMemari and Chaimaa Fadil were awarded this years Rhodes Scholarship. Both will be able to attend University of Oxford to pursue their postgraduate studies.

The Rhodes to Success: Two NYUAD Students Awarded Scholarship

Two NYU Abu Dhabi students have been named as Rhodes Scholars. These students, both U.A.E. citizens, will join 30 other students from across the country in this year's awards.
Crime Log: Nov. 17 to Nov. 21

Crime Log: Nov. 17 to Nov. 21

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Nov 27, 2017
A recap of crimes reported to Public Safety from Nov. 17 to Nov. 21.
In the letter, NYU Divest said that many Board of Trustees members have connections to the fossil fuel industry, which they deem to be conflicts of interest.

NYU Divest Letter Drop Demands Hamilton and Board Response

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Nov 21, 2017
This Monday, NYU Divest dropped off a letter for President Andrew Hamilton and the Board of Trustees, once again asking the university to divest from fossil fuel companies.
Crime Log: Nov. 10 to Nov. 16

Crime Log: Nov. 10 to Nov. 16

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Nov 20, 2017
A recap of crimes reported to Public Safety from Nov. 10 to Nov. 16.

NYU Psychology professor was accused of transphobic remarks and was reported via the Bias Response Hotline.

Professor Reported to Bias Response Line for Alleged Transphobia

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Nov 15, 2017
Junior August Enzer reported psychology professor Edgar Coons to the Bias Response Line last week. Enzer alleges that Coons has made transphobic remarks multiple times, but Coons denies the validity of these claims.
President Andrew Hamilton announced to the University Senate that NYU will accept Puerto Rican students affected by the hurricane next semester.

NYU Will Offer Full Scholarships to 50 Puerto Rican Students for Spring Semester

Alex Domb and Miranda Levingston Nov 9, 2017
President Andrew Hamilton announced today that NYU will offer full scholarships to at least 50 Puerto Rican students affected by recent hurricanes. Students are eligible to apply until December 15.
A still from the newsreel of Home Depot Co-Founder Ken Langone discussing terrorism and immigration.

Student Organizations Condemn Trustee’s Remarks

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Nov 6, 2017
Students react to NYU trustee Ken Langone's comments on immigration on Fox News.
New York governor Andrew Cuomo recently signed a law that will prohibit the use of e-cigarettes of all forms in public spaces.

New York State Updates Vaping Law

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Oct 30, 2017
Last Monday, the New York Governor signed a law prohibiting the use of electronic cigarettes in all public indoor spaces.
A new device for vaping is taking over the NYU campus among students, the juul. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s new bill bans vaping in public indoor areas or anywhere smoking is already prohibited, as this might affect students on campus.

Juul Electronic Cigarettes: The Biggest New Craze on Campus?

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Oct 27, 2017
With the increased usage of e-cigarettes comes a new craze: the Juul. NYU students have mixed feelings about one of the biggest e-cigarettes on campus.
NYU President Hamilton sent a letter to SLAM in response to their request to add a student to the board of trustees. Members of the group annotated and analysed the letter to expose what they percieved to be Hamilton’s true message.

Beckman and Hamilton Slam SLAM

Both NYU President Andrew Hamilton and university spokesperson John Beckman spoke against SLAM's request for a student member on the Board of Trustees.
NYU SLAM members made posters outlining how members of the board have ties to other industries that could be deemed a conflict of interest.

NYU SLAM Seeks Support for Student Representation at Alumni Weekend

Alex Domb, Deputy News Editor Oct 21, 2017
NYU SLAM took to the Kimmel stairs this morning to ask for support from alumni and parents in its mission to get student representation on the Board of Trustees.
The NYU College of Dentistry has received two grants totaling approximately $3.7 million. The grants, led by Dr. Yu Zhang, will allow the department to develop new ceramic materials for dental restorations.

NYU Dentistry Wins $3.7 Million

Alex Domb, Staff Writer Oct 16, 2017
NYU College of Dentistry has received two grants totaling approximately $3.7 million.
Over a hundred NYU community members attended the vigil in remembrance of the Sunday’s mass shooting in Las Vegas on Monday at 5 p.m. in Kimmel Center for University Life.

NYU Mourns for Las Vegas

Alex Domb, Contributing Writer Oct 3, 2017
A group of NYU clubs rallied together to host a vigil in remembrance of of Sunday's mass shooting in Las Vegas.
Sterns W.R. Berkley Innovation Lab is kicking off its advertised $300k Entrepreneurs challenge, despite the cash prize being less than promised.

$300K Entrepreneurs Challenge

Alex Domb, Contributing Writer Oct 2, 2017
NYU is kicking off its annual Entrepreneurs Challenge, which will pay out $275,000 in cash prizes.
Stern School of Business will soon be expanding to NYUs Washington DC campus

Stern Expands into DC via Executive MBA Program

Alex Domb, Contributing Writer Sep 19, 2017
The Stern School of Business is expanding to NYU campus in Washington D.C.

Nalani Ogawa (Left) and Alex Benedict (RIght)  both scored goals in the Saturday night women’s soccer match.

Women’s Soccer Earns Third Shutout

Alex Domb, Contributing Writer Sep 18, 2017
NYU women's soccer defeats Mount Saint Mary with a 2-0 finish.
The Merits and Shortcomings of Higher Education Rankings

NYU jumped from a tie for 36th national research university last year to a tie for 30th this year
NYUs Public Safety will become the second campus in the US to become accredited.

NYU Public Safety Continues Preparation for Accreditation

Alex Domb, Contributing Writer Sep 14, 2017
NYU Public Safety ambitiously aims to become only second US security department to achieve CALEA accreditation.
Robert Shellow and Maxi Rodriguez celebrate their second goal.

Second Straight Victory for Men’s Soccer Team

Alex Domb, Contributing Writer Sep 11, 2017
NYU Men's Soccer defeats Hunter College on Saturday, September 9.
NYU women’s volleyball lost its last two matches this past Saturday during the Kean University Invitational.

Women’s Volleyball Falls Short in Seasonal Debut

Alex Domb, Contributing Writer Sep 5, 2017
NYU women's volleyball falls short in first tournament to open the season.