Break a Sweat Without Breaking The Bank

via Instagram.com / @therisenyc

The Rise NYC hosting a class in Washington Square Park.

Rachel Buigas-Lopez, Creative Director

New York City is home to an innumerable amount of gyms and classes, many of which come with a price tag outside of students’ budgets. Going to Palladium, 404 Fitness or Brooklyn Athletic Facility is always an option, but working out alone can be discouraging and boring. Luckily, among New York City’s bougiest gyms lie hidden gems that are either free or under $20 a class.

NYC Parks and Recreation

If you’re up for anything, check out the NYC Parks and Recreation schedule for Shape Up NYC classes. It has free daily classes in every borough, ranging from ab sculpting classes to relaxing yoga in the park. There is no need to register ahead of time — just show up with some friends and participate.

The Rise NYC

If you’re an early riser and have the stamina to make it to a 6:30 a.m. class, The Rise NYC hosts classes every weekday. Its Monday morning high intensity interval training class is in our very own Washington Square Park. For Gramercy Green Residence Hall residents, The Rise NYC hosts a form and flow class every Thursday at the Flatiron Plaza.

Yoga for donation

Although Yoga to the People is no longer such a hidden gem, there are many similar classes that operate under a donation system. For Tandon students and for those looking to venture out to Brooklyn, Brooklyn Yoga Collective and Brooklyn Yoga School also operate on a pay-as-you-wish basis generally ranging between $6 and $20 and offer yoga mats to rent for as little as $1.

Brands

Brands like New Balance, Athleta and Lululemon host yoga, pilates, barre and running clubs from their stores throughout New York City. With the money you save, you can splurge on some new workout clothes.

Workout Memberships

Although free is always better, sometimes paying for the classes that work with your schedule or that you prefer is worth it. If you are going to try out some exercise classes, there are memberships that reduce the cost per class. Class Pass offers a one-week free trial and packages starting at $45 per month for two to four classes. Similarly, Fit Reserve offers a $59 package for three classes a month, $79 for five classes a month and $149 for ten classes a month. If this payment plan doesn’t interest you, consider paying by the minute for your workout with POPiN.

Whether your ideal exercise is a morning sun salutation or group run, there is a class for you without needing to empty your wallet.

Read more from Washington Square News’ Fitness Feature here. Email Rachel Buigas-Lopez at [email protected].