Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 03:05 pm est

Top 5 spring flea markets

Posted on April 28, 2014 | by Ilona Tuominen

Tiffany Liu for WSN

Smorgasburg 

Smorgasburg, the popular food flea market, never fails to impress with its wide variety of unique vendors and a perfect view of the Manhattan skyline. With foods ranging from grilled cheese sandwiches from Milk Truck to macarons from Vendome, Smorgasburg offers great options for anyone. It is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. (East River State Park in Williamsburg on Saturdays; Brooklyn Bridge Park on Sundays)

The Antiques Garage 

For the shopper with a larger budget, the Antiques Garage is a flea market for high-quality vintage items. Hosted in a parking garage, this flea market is two floors high with over 100 vendors. The Antiques Garage is popular, albeit expensive. It is very crowded around midday so it is best to come in the morning or later in the day. Despite the prices, the Antiques Garage is still an exciting location to explore. (112 W. 25th St.)

The Williamsburg Flea

Re-opening May 4, the Williamsburg Flea Market will be open on Sundays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., with 150 vendors selling odd trinkets as well as good food. Spending the day at the Williamsburg Flea will guarantee some great skyline views. (50 Kent Ave.)

Green Flea 

Open every Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Green Flea  Market is located on the Upper West Side. The Green Flea also has an indoor market in the same location, so you will not have to worry about rain ruining your plans. To accompany the items on sale, Green Flea is also famous for their food. It is next to a farmer’s market in case you need a break from the bustling flea market. (Columbus Avenue between West 76th and 77th streets)

Hell’s Kitchen Flea 

Hell’s Kitchen Flea Market attracts a wide array of visitors ranging from artists to tourists all looking through the different antiques, vintage clothing and home décor. Open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. every  Saturday and Sunday throughout the year, Hell’s Kitchen Flea is a must-see local event. (West 39th Street between Ninth and 10th avenues)

A version of this article appeared in the April 28 print edition. Ilona Tuominen is a staff writer. Email her at features@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next