Zimmermann Fall/Winter 2015

Natalia Barr, Contributing Writer

Romantic 70s flair and femininity floated down the runway of Australian brand Zimmermann’s Fall/Winter 2015 collection, “The Esplanade.”

Designer Nicky Zimmermann maintained her brand’s signature light and bohemian style in the collection that appeared at Artbeam in Chelsea. However, in the program for the collection, she said, “This season I wanted to work with a more streamlined and elongated silhouette so the collection was more structured, and less free and flowing than last season.”

Zimmermann’s parents’ glamorous dinner parties and the excitement they brought inspired the collection. Elegant A-line shapes, sleek long dresses and clean panels moved with ease and sophistication. The designer offered up a femininity factor that she has not shown off before, playing with keyhole cutouts and deep v-necks on otherwise modest high collars and long sleeved ensembles. Although Zimmermann also took inspiration from 60s interiors for her collection, many looks seemed to point in a direction a decade later. Flared pants, billowing sleeves and wide brimmed hats all contributed to the evident 70s trend for the Fall/Winter 2015 season.

Zimmermann also brought color blocking and bright prints to an otherwise dark and dreary season with pea coats of teal and blush, paisley and geo prints, and unique color combinations of pink and burgundy or blush and mint.

Email Natalia Barr at [email protected]