Global Liberal Studies Commencement ’16

Polina Buchak

Dean Fred Schwarzbach pointed out the importance of being part of a global community at the GLS commencement ceremony on Tuesday afternoon.

Polina Buchak, Video Editor

The NYU Skirball Center of the Performing Arts was filled with feelings of pride and excitement on Tuesday as the Global Liberal Studies class of 2016 came together at the end of their baccalaureate journey. The 64 students walked across the stage to receive their diplomas, receiving standing ovations.

The ceremony commenced by welcoming the graduates, which was followed by the opening remarks of Dean Fred Schwarzbach. While congratulating the class with their achievements, Schwarzbach pointed out the importance of being part of a global community.

“We did not aspire to produce citizens of the world; we set our bar higher,” Schwarzbach said. “Our goal is to prepare you to become leaders of the world.”

The keynote speaker at the ceremony was class of 2013 GLS graduate Serena Guen. She spoke about her experience as a GLS alumni and how the ability to experience the world impacted her to be the founder of Suitcase Magazine — the travel and fashion publication she founded in her NYU dorm room.

“Passionate drive can get you very far in life. It can often overweigh other things like experience — experience we cannot read about on the internet or get insight from others like your parents,” Guen said. “If you really want to be the best, you’ve got to keep developing yourself.”

After the presentation of candidates, class valedictorian Lola Harney addressed her class by congratulating everyone on the wide variety of adventures GLS has offered — and the class has conquered.

Schwarzbach made sure in his closing remarks that students would remember where they came from.

“As you go forward to more accomplishments in your careers, your studies, your lives, remember, you are now, you always will be, a part of our community of GLS at NYU.”

Email Polina Buchak at [email protected].