Volleyball Continues Mid-Season Tear

via gonyuathletics.com

Today, the women’s volleyball team won 3 to 0 against St. Joseph’s College in Long Island.

Michael Thompson, Staff Writer

The beat went on for the NYU women’s volleyball team as the Violets extended their winning streak to six games, easily winning in three sets against St. Joseph’s College in Patchogue, NY on Tuesday.

The Violets, who improved to 10-3 for the season, faced a competitive test from St. Joseph’s in the first set, but eventually took firm control, dominating the last two sets en route to a 25-21, 25-10, 25-18 win. Down two points, the Violets rallied in the first to tie things up at 14. After trading several points, the Violets put together a string of six straight points — thanks in part to two kills by sophomore setter Daryl Mitchell — to grab the first set.

Things went much smoother in the second, as the Violets never trailed in the set. At one point, NYU went on an eight-point streak, burying their opponents in the process. Without much doubt in the third, the Violets put the match away, overcoming a five-point early deficit to win by seven points.

The stats indicate a dominant victory for the Violets, as the ladies led in kills 38-23, aces 6-1 and assists 30-20. Sophomore outside hitter Shelby King continued her excellent season by leading all players with eight kills. Junior and sophomore middle blockers Rayne Ellis and Gretchen Cash tallied seven apiece. Meanwhile, sophomore and first-year liberos Stephanie Mao and Paighton Miller combined for 25 digs while Mitchell finished with 17 assists.

Sophomore outside hitter Annie Singh was pleased with the execution and the direction in which the team is headed.

“We traveled to Long Island today, which took us a while,” Singh said. “Despite having a short warm up, we came together and played up to our level from the start. We have so much depth and talent on our team, which makes us very versatile and enables us to execute various plays. Hopefully we can carry out this momentum to this weekend at Baruch College.”

With a slight change in their usual schedule, the Violets next play in Brooklyn on Friday against the College of Mount Saint Vincent. They’ll then travel to Baruch this weekend for the Baruch Tri-Match, squaring off against the hosts and St. Mary’s College of Maryland.

Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].