Staff Rants: Oct. 18-24

WSN Staff

From dog culture to Kourtney Kardashian — check out this week’s set of hashtag hot takes from the WSN staff.

On “business casual” attire:

As a woman, I would rather be told that an event’s dress code is “high school prom” than ever hear the phrase “business casual.” Men have a tendency to say this like it actually means something — like there is an actual dress code implied here. And for them, there is. But for women, it’s arguably the most vague way to tell us how to dress. How long should our skirts be? How tight? How showy the dress? Should we, in fact, wear pants? Do our blouses necessitate a blazer or sweater? What level of formality should our jewelry be? Do our shirts need collars? What’s the code on cleavage? It’s honestly the most confounding, useless phrase ever to enter our vernacular as far as wardrobe is concerned. It takes all of the double standards and impossible expectations held of women and makes us pick from a sword with unending edges. —Hailey Nuthals, Arts Editor

On dogs:

Somehow, it’s perfectly socially acceptable for people to admit their dislike of cats. Not so with dogs.

What’s my beef with dogs? They pee and poop everywhere. Their barking startles me. They’re always underfoot. They require so much attention. They’re so optimistic all the time that it makes me feel guilty for being a cynic. And they’re the genetic results of man playing God.

Of course, I don’t hate all dogs. Labs are nice. But I’m not a fan of this dog-petting, dog-staring, dog-obsessed culture that berates people who don’t buy into it. Dog culture must end. Cats are the future. —Abigail Weinberg, Features Editor

On sharing food:

When both people have their own food, there is no reason nonconsensual food consumption should ever occur. You wouldn’t move your mouth over to a burrito or sandwich in my hand without asking first, so why is it okay for your utensil to spear my food without permission? This isn’t just a matter of hygiene — it’s manners. The window of opportunity to eat another person’s food is at the beginning of the meal if there is an agreement to sample each other’s food selection. That is an even and agreeable exchange. But if my soup looks more delightful than your salad midway through the meal, I’m sorry you aren’t happy with your selection, but we’re paying for what we ordered, and I don’t want ranch dressing in my soup. —Diamond Naga Siu, News Editor

On people who talk on the phone while waiting in lines:

One of my biggest pet peeves are people who go to places like Starbucks and are on the phone the whole time. Whomever you are talking to can wait the two minutes it takes you to order something and pay for it, the world won’t end because you had to say “Hang on a minute,” and then pause to order your food and-or drink. The cashiers are just trying to do their jobs and you are making it much more difficult for them. Also, by not fully paying attention, you are holding up the rest of the line, which  includes people who also have phone calls to make but understand that waiting in line in a coffeeshop is not the place to make those calls. Waiting until after you have ordered to talk on the phone isn’t difficult. It is simply a matter of basic human decency. —Abbey Wilson, Assistant Managing Editor

On Kourtney Kardashian’s viral Kit Kat YouTube video:

For the first time, I was exposed to Kourtney Kardashian’s “6 Steps to Eating a Kit Kat.” It is highly ineffective. As a late-night Kit Kat eater, I am more than happy to break off one stick and eat it in a few bites. (I’m not one of those barbarians who just bites into the whole bar. Terrible.) Anyway, Kourtney outlines a whole process where she eats the chocolate off the sides of the Kit Kat, then slides the wafers apart and eats the top and bottom pieces with the chocolate. She says the middle wafer is the best, and saves it for last. (Spoiler alert: it’s not. Unless you like chalky, chocolate-less wafers.) I have experienced few things that are more pointlessly time-consuming than eating my way around a Kit Kat. Maybe if I didn’t have a job or things to do or errands to run, I would have time to do this. Even if this were the case, I would first need a pair of corn holders to stick in the ends of the Kit Kat. Have you ever considered how inconvenient it is to nibble the chocolate off the thin side of the bar? It melts as you do so. It is a small surface. I do not like it. Once I was done with that, I had to slide the bar apart, which made me wonder, why was I holding one Kit Kat in several pieces in both of my hands? Waste of time, waste of space, waste of Kit Kat. —Grace Halio, Deputy Managing Editor

Email the Editorial Board at [email protected].