Finding Validation in the Music(k)

Jamie Emmerman

WSN sat down with Clive Davis sophomore Maxwell Musick to discuss his new song “Break” and his development as an artist.

Isabel Beebe, Contributing Writer

Maxwell Musick has recently undergone a musical transformation. The multi-talented Clive Davis sophomore released a new song this January called “Brake” that he hopes is the beginning of a newfound focus on music and his development as an artist. Musick — who previously put out music under his full name — recently started releasing music under the moniker Wolfe. WSN caught up with Musick to talk music, modeling and breaking away from expectations.

Washington Square News: First of all, what are your hopes for your new song “Brake,” and where did the inspiration for the song come from?

Maxwell Musick: Well, the point of this new song is for it to be a sort of introduction to where my music is going. Projects in the past just didn’t connect [with listeners] as much. I don’t need this song to be a big thing. I don’t listen to the song and think it’s perfect — I just want it to be an introduction to Wolfe, and I think it serves that purpose perfectly. I wrote and recorded the song in my bedroom in the middle of the night after watching a viral video of a 14-year-old singing. I just felt so discouraged. Then I kind of asked myself what I was waiting for, and the lyrics for “Brake” just came out. It was such a moment of weakness and I think that moment translates powerfully into the song.

WSN: And what is Wolfe? Where did that name come from, and why did you switch to using it instead of your own name?

MM: It’s actually my great-grandfather’s name. I’m a very sentimental person and sentimentality is a big part of this new song and my music in general, so it seemed like a very natural name for me to be releasing music under. When I’m performing, I become this different person, and Wolfe is that other part of me that comes out through the music.

WSN: You also model. How do you balance modeling and making music? What does music do for you that modeling does not?

MM: I really enjoy modeling but I don’t find a purpose in it the way that I do with music. When I model I love getting to step out of my own world and be a part of someone else’s vision, but when I’m making music it’s my own vision and that’s why I am shifting my focus to music being the priority. I feel like as a white male model I’m not doing anything positive socially, but through my music. I can send the message that I choose to send.

WSN: And what message would you want to send through your music?

MM: I just want my music to be very authentic and honest. I want to reveal my weaknesses through my music to show other people that it’s okay to be themselves, and not be perfect and [to] have these moments of total weakness. I went into modeling for validation, and I don’t want to need that validation anymore. I’m tired of feeling insufficient. Making music that is true to what I am going through is the most honest way for me to work through those feelings and prove to myself that I am a strong vocalist.

WSN: So, what is next?

MM: I’ll be releasing a three-song EP this spring, so look out for that!

Find Wolfe on SoundCloud and Facebook.

Email Isabel Beebe at [email protected]