Making the most of Abu Dhabi

Marita Vlachou, News Editor

One of the three NYU portal campuses can be found in the Middle East, and more specifically in the largest emirate in the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi. NYUAD offers more than just the campus — there are multiple opportunities for students to explore the city and its surroundings.

Here are five fun activities you can do while studying away in NYUAD.

Visit the Sheikh Zayed Grand

Mosque Center

This mosque is a must-see for students visiting Abu Dhabi. Named after Sheikh Zayed, it features exceptional architecture and luxury. However, students should make sure to follow the dress code. Women who visit the mosque are required to wear a scarf covering their hair.

CAS sophomore Shweta Garg said visiting the mosque is a very popular attraction for NYUAD students and is free of charge.

“We’re provided with abayas and shaylas, which are super beautiful, and we get to roam around the multimillion dollar mosque,” Garg said. “They don’t charge a cent to go in either. It’s breathtaking and unreal. It’s a great initial exposure to Islam and it’s wonders here.”

Abu Dhabi Evening Desert Safari and Dinner: While in Abu Dhabi, students should take the opportunity to enjoy a desert safari ride. Students can choose to visit an Arabic camp, where barbecue dinner is served in its desert location. The camp also offers a range of activities including camel riding, sand skiing and henna painting. After dinner, students will also have the chance to watch a live belly dance performance.

Take a trip to Corniche beach

While students in New York City may long to go for a swim at the beach, NYUAD students have very easy access to a beautiful beach. The Corniche, which is located in close proximity to campus, is an ideal destination for students looking to swim.

Go shopping and have lunch at the Souk at Central Market

Students can take the time to visit the Souk at Central Market, which is located in the heart of the city of Abu Dhabi.You can barter with the shopkeepers for items like antique jewelry, traditional clothing, souvenirs and perfume.