Making the most of Abu Dhabi

+

By Marita Vlachou, News Editor

One of the three NYU portal campuses can be found in the Middle East, and more specifically in the largest emirate in the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi. NYUAD offers more than just the campus — there are multiple opportunities for students to explore the city and its surroundings.

Here are five fun activities you can do while studying away in NYUAD.

Visit the Sheikh Zayed Grand

Mosque Center

This mosque is a must-see for students visiting Abu Dhabi. Named after Sheikh Zayed, it features exceptional architecture and luxury. However, students should make sure to follow the dress code. Women who visit the mosque are required to wear a scarf covering their hair.

CAS sophomore Shweta Garg said visiting the mosque is a very popular attraction for NYUAD students and is free of charge.

“We’re provided with abayas and shaylas, which are super beautiful, and we get to roam around the multimillion dollar mosque,” Garg said. “They don’t charge a cent to go in either. It’s breathtaking and unreal. It’s a great initial exposure to Islam and it’s wonders here.”

Abu Dhabi Evening Desert Safari and Dinner: While in Abu Dhabi, students should take the opportunity to enjoy a desert safari ride. Students can choose to visit an Arabic camp, where barbecue dinner is served in its desert location. The camp also offers a range of activities including camel riding, sand skiing and henna painting. After dinner, students will also have the chance to watch a live belly dance performance.

Take a trip to Corniche beach

While students in New York City may long to go for a swim at the beach, NYUAD students have very easy access to a beautiful beach. The Corniche, which is located in close proximity to campus, is an ideal destination for students looking to swim.

Go shopping and have lunch at the Souk at Central Market

Students can take the time to visit the Souk at Central Market, which is located in the heart of the city of Abu Dhabi.You can barter with the shopkeepers for items like antique jewelry, traditional clothing, souvenirs and perfume.

Marita Vlachou, Deputy Managing Editor
Marita Vlachou is a junior at the College of Arts and Science studying Economics and Journalism. She is currently the Deputy Managing Editor for WSN. She was born and raised in Athens, Greece and has always enjoyed traveling around the world and learning new languages. When she is not working for WSN, she organizes events...
Hannah Treasure, Under the Arch Editor
Hannah Treasure is editor of Under the Arch this semester, previously Digital Director and Features Editor. As a Gallatin junior, her concentration focuses on education equality with a minor in Mandarin Language. She’s from Texas, a place she’d prefer never to return to, although she fully embraces saying “y’all.” Catch her with a mouth full...
Emily Bell, Blogs Editor
Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation's annual Village Awards honor individuals, businesses and places that impact the community.
Thomas Devlin, Editor-at-Large
Who is Thomas Devlin? Unfortunately, we may never know the full answer. Apocryphal information, however, can lead us to some reasonable guesses. Born in the late 20th century (stringent estimates place him in 1995), Devlin grew up in the small conservative town of Douglas, Massachusetts. Studying migration patterns, we assume he moved to New York...
Marina Zheng, Features Editor
Marina Zheng is the Features Editor and CAS junior majoring in journalism and art history. Born in Shanghai and raised in the U.S., she hopes to become a travel journalist some day after discovering the depth of her wanderlust during a semester abroad in Prague and a J-term abroad in Buenos Aires. When Marina is...
Bryna Shuman, Editor-at-Large
Try out this simple braid for fun, music festival style.
Larson Binzer, Senior Editor
Resolution fellows Samir Goel and Hannah Dehardunwala create app for Transfernation, create partnership in Pakistan.
Bailey Evans, Digital Director
Bailey Evans is Digital Director and a junior studying journalism and economics in the College of Arts and Science. The economics part of that is actually kind of important to her too. In her spare time, she watches roughly 150 Red Sox games per season, uses books to avoid social engagement, is perpetually disappointed by...