Track impresses at UAA tourney

via gonyuathletics.com

Stern freshman Max Avila finishes 6th in the 800m at the UAA championship.

Anne Cruz, Contributing Writer

This past weekend, the NYU men’s and women’s track and field teams competed at the University Athletic Association indoor track championships at the University of Chicago. Other competitors included Brandeis University, Emory University and Carnegie Mellon University.

After the first day of competition, the men’s track and field team was in sixth place. Though they were not at the head of the pack, there were some outstanding performances. Sophomore Carter Beardsley finished in third place in the weight throw with a personal best of 13.94. The distance medley relay team, consisting of senior Sebastian Oja and sophomores Nick Karam, Chevron Samuels and Curtis Mann, won fifth place with a time of 10:19.70. Sophomore Nick Torsitano finished 10th in the 60 m hurdles.

Beardsley met his own expectations for the weekend, and was very grateful to his coaches for providing him the opportunity to do so.

“My major goals were to beat my previous personal record and to improve my technique,” Beardsley said. “I achieved one personal record and I like to think I improved my overall form. My coach and teammates greatly contributed to my success. They help push me and ultimately, I learn from them.”

He went on to credit his team, not just himself, for his accomplishments.

“I would say that the atmosphere the team creates is great for achieving goals.” Beardsley said. “For instance, the team members and coaches support all of the athletes.”

The women’s team fared similarly, ranking seventh after the first day of competition. Junior Danielle Medellin finished ninth in the 60 m hurdles with a time of 9.85. The distance medley relay team consisting of seniors Alyssa Binczyk and Caroline Spring, junior Becky Turlip and sophomore Wendy He took fifth place with a time of 12:33.29.

The teams’ successes are indicative of hard work and training throughout the season. This weekend’s championship was the first of three major competitions; the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference championships and the NCAA championships will take place this month as well.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 2 print edition. Email Anne Cruz at [email protected].