Poly receives $100 million gift, changes name

By Marita Vlachou, Deputy Managing Editor

The NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering is set to change its name to NYU Tandon School of Engineering on Monday after receiving a $100 million gift donation, according to a press release.

Donors NYU trustee Chandrika Tandon and her husband Ranjan Tandon want the university to raise an additional $50 million for scholarship aid.

Tandon said she and her husband believe in STEM education and the donation is a good way for them to support students pursuing a career in the applied sciences.

“Our hope is that this gift will bring many more of us together to reinvent engineering, advance New York’s efforts to become a science and tech capital, and foster the talents of young innovators, applied scientists, and entrepreneurs,” Tandon said. “We believe this is just the beginning.”

NYU President John Sexton said the donation will transform engineering at NYU and have a far-reaching impact for the city.

“It will boost New York City’s — and especially Brooklyn’s — growing tech sector and, most of all, it will yield generations of innovators who, connected to NYU’s global network, will solve pressing and challenging problems throughout the world.”

Email Marita Vlachou at [email protected] 

Marita Vlachou, Deputy Managing Editor
Marita Vlachou is a junior at the College of Arts and Science studying Economics and Journalism. She is currently the Deputy Managing Editor for WSN. She was born and raised in Athens, Greece and has always enjoyed traveling around the world and learning new languages. When she is not working for WSN, she organizes events...
3 Comments

3 Responses to “Poly receives $100 million gift, changes name”

1. It's Tandon not tanton on October 5th, 2015 11:19 am

It’s Tandon not tanton

2. mark on October 5th, 2015 10:45 pm

“$100 million gift donation”

How is this a “gift donation?!?” This is an outright purchase of naming rights, much like Qwest/Centurylink paid to rename the Seahawks stadium to Centurylink stadium.

Also, what a bizzare egotistical impulse, to purchase longevity for one’s name, so, so weird.

I am not putting this atrocity on my resume. Glad I didn’t go back to Poly for my masters.

3. Hua on October 9th, 2015 5:27 pm