Pharrell to spend year as artist-in-residence at Tisch

via wikipedia.org

Pharrell, shown performing at the 2014 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, will be an artist-in-residence at NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts this year.

Alex Bazeley, News Editor

As if NYU students weren’t starstruck enough, they now have another reason to be “Happy”: Pharrell Williams, R&B musician, producer and entrepreneur, will be joining the university as an artist-in-residence this year as part of the Tisch School of the Arts’ 50th anniversary.

Williams will sit down with Tisch professor Jason King on Monday, Oct. 26 at New York City’s Town Hall for a career retrospective to kick off the residency. At the time of publication, the press release announcing the news stated that the talk would only be open to Tisch students, faculty and staff.

NPR Music is putting the night together; King is the host of of NPR Music’s R&B initiative “I’ll Take You There.”

The 42-year-old Williams will also be teaching a class as part of his yearlong residency, and the university says more events involving the pop star will be announced in the future.

It’s not the first time a world-famous musician has taken their talents to the Washington Square Park campus — rapper Jay Z came to the university in April to discuss his then-new streaming service Tidal in-depth.

NYU students are also no strangers to having a star in their midst. Victoria’s Secret model Karlie Kloss currently attends NYU, while former Disney Channel sweethearts Dylan and Cole Sprouse graduated last spring.

Email Alex Bazeley at [email protected].