The 5 best cookbooks for college students

Ashley Arnold

Toni Patrick’s “101 Things to do with Ramen Noodles” is a great cookbook for college students who want to try something new with their ramen.

Taylor Nicole Rogers, Staff Writer

No matter how much you like the food in NYU’s dining halls, always eating at the same place  can get old quickly. For a more affordable option, try creating a home cooked meal from one of these cookbooks.

“250 Best Meals in a Mug: Delicious Homemade Microwave Meals in Minutes” by Camilla Saulsbury

Although not specially geared towards college students, “250 Best Meals in a Mug” is perfect for those living in traditional dorms without a kitchen. The book contains single serving recipes that call for common ingredients and can be cooked in a 16 oz. microwave safe mug. “250 Best” provides great ideas for all meals, such as breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack and dessert. The book also includes an entire section of vegetarian options.

“100 Days of Real Food: How We Did It, What We Learned, and 100 Easy, Wholesome Recipes Your Family Will Love” by Lisa Leake

Based on Lisa Leake’s popular blog of the same name, “100 Days of Real Food” gives readers an easy way to explore the clean eating trend. Despite containing typically unhealthy foods such as chicken nuggets, all of the recipes in “100 Days of Real Food” contain non-processed or refined ingredients.

“The Pillsbury Complete Cookbook”

An update of the beloved “Pillsbury Family Cookbook” published in 1973, the Pillsbury Complete Cookbook is the quintessential all-purpose cookbook for all skill levels. It even explains how to substitute ingredients in recipes, how to freeze and can foods and how to properly use utensils. The cookbook includes a glossary of cooking jargon in addition to the expansive collection of test kitchen approved recipes for classic home cooked meals. Pillsbury’s fresh apple pie is always a crowd favorite.

“Baking: From My Home to Yours” by Dorie Greenspan

A good cookbook is essential to producing quality baked goods. Renowned for its friendly tone and personal anecdotes, “Baking: From My Home to Yours” is a down-to-earth guide to the complicated world of baking. Greenspan includes recipes for simple recipes like peppermint brownies or buttermilk biscuits, along with more advanced projects including cream puffs and homemade ice cream.

“101 Things To Do With Ramen Noodles” by Toni Patrick

Should you ever tire of the quintessential college meal of microwaved ramen noodles, “101 Things To Do With Ramen Noodles” is the comprehensive guide on how make ramen feel new. Inspired by the author’s experiences with ramen noodles in college, “101 Things” is full of recipes with simple instructions perfect for new cooks. “101 Things” contains creative recipes that range from classic creamy chicken noodle soup to mexican spaghetti to ramen burgers and even a chocolate crunchy noodle dessert.
To access recipes from these cookbooks and more, visit the Fales Library Food and Cookery Collection on the third floor Bobst.

Email Taylor Nicole Rogers at [email protected].