Grammys Show That Fashion and Music Go Hand in Hand

Taylor Swift finds away to make a statement, both in her music and her fashion choices.

Medardo Perez, Contributing Writer

The Grammy Awards on Monday was a powerhouse of music and fashion. Musicians took the opportunity to style iconic looks, some more successfully than others. Music and fashion compliment one another, creating incredible cultural influence. In a complementary relationship, artists — both musicians and designers — use fashion as a means of expressing their creativity and individualism.

Taylor Swift brought 1989 into 2016, winning Album of the Year for her album “1989” and Best Music Video for her song “Bad Blood” featuring Kendrick Lamar. But it’s not just the music that made her stand out. Swift is America’s sweetheart and fashion’s chameleon — she maintained her poise and sophistication while wearing a plunging neckline, a cut-out dress and a bodysuit showing off her figure.

While Swift frequents numerous “Best Dressed” lists for her red-carpet looks, her true fashion iconoclast moments are in her music videos. “Blank Space” and “Shake it Off” each have over a billion views on YouTube, holding the spots for the second and fifth most watched videos. Assuming you are one of the 1.4 billion viewers of “Blank Space,” you might recall Swift’s looks as perfect for a romance-movie style. In the video, she embodies everything girly, lacey and flirty, complete with her signature red lips. The fashion in “Shake It Off” may not be Swift’s best, but is the most diverse: from ballerina to break-dancer and gymnast, this video deserves credit for her range. Her most risqué video, “Bad Blood,” embodies girl-power. Swift’s fire-engine red hair, coupled with a leather and metal ensemble, proves that the singer’s fashion is dynamic as it is versatile.

Meanwhile, Bruno Mars snagged Record of the Year and Best Pop Duo/Group Performance for his soulful song “Uptown Funk.” Fashion is Mars’s time travel: his pompadour and tailored suits are reminiscent of the 1950s, while his leather Versace baseball jersey and gold chain hearken to the 90s. In his music video for “Uptown Funk,” Mars rocks a blazer and fedora as he jives to the music. This year at the Grammys, Mars opted for a more relaxed but still striking ensemble: an eggplant satin blazer, a matching vest and no undershirt paired with classic black pants. Although he has many variations to his look, Mars never loses his gentleman’s edge.

Oddly enough, it was the stars who were not nominated for any awards that stood out on the Grammy red carpet. Lady Gaga stole the show in a blue Marc Jacobs dress as she paid tribute to the late David Bowie. Ciara was daring, wearing an Alexandre Vauthier Haute Couture ensemble that revealed her hip. Finally, it would not be a successful night for fashion, or music, without a Queen Bey spotting. The songstress wore a sheer Victorian-inspired gown by designer Inbal Dror. This year, both nominees and winners alike showed their stylistic prowess.

Email Medardo Perez at [email protected].