Generations on Generations

Abigail Weinberg, Deputy Features Editor

Millennials are entitled and lazy, Generation Xers are cynical and unmotivated and Baby Boomers are mooching off the hard work of their descendents. We all know these trite stereotypes, but here’s what members of each age group actually believe about generational divides.

Views on Millennials

“I think [millennials] are very aggressive, I think very passionate, much more open-minded than we’ve ever been, but that open-mindedness has also caused there to be lots of divide within our opinions.” – LS freshman Jake Steel, Millennial

“I think there’s way more uncertainty now, professional, economic …You guys obviously have so much technological savvy, more access to global information. A big thing I see here is [a generation that is] extremely well-travelled, multilingual.” – Laura Amelio, Spanish and Portuguese Language Lecturer, Gen X

“Smart. Well-informed. Wanting everything that second — impatient, maybe. Connected to social media.” – Lori Moore, Manager of Ticket Services at Skirball, Gen X

“I don’t have any particularly strong associations when I think of this age group as a whole. I used to think ‘apolitical,’ but then again, a lot of Bernie Sanders’ support comes from under-30 voters.” – Tisch ’86 alumnus David Newman, Baby Boomer

Views on Gen X

“I feel like although [millennials] are more technologically forward, [Gen Xers] were more socially advanced in terms that we have so many more ways to communicate nowadays but we are not using those ways properly, we’re more so using them to criticize.” – LS freshman Jake Steel, Millennial

“They’re relatively tech savvy, they know how to leverage their new skills. They’re generally better off in the new global economy. They’re a little bit more centered on the PC culture, safe space culture, that millennials have taken up.” – CAS junior William DeLay, Millennial

“I think the parent-child gap was greater. The Millennials kind of have friendships with their parents, or there’s less of an authoritative or authoritarian relation between the child and the parent.” – Laura Amelio, Spanish and Portuguese Language Lecturer, Gen X

Views on Baby Boomers

“They paved the way and they’re still paving the way for millennials.” – LS freshman Jake Steel, Millennial

“Baby Boomers are the generation of American exceptionalism. They grew up during the Cold War era so they had very entrenched ideals about the economy, religion, statehood, the necessities of a state.” – CAS junior William DeLay, Millennial

“I think that they’re more well-informed than you’d expect, that they do try to keep up with technology a lot.” – Lori Moore, Manager of Ticket Services at Skirball, Gen X

“Since I was born in 1959, I’m toward the tail end of the baby boomer generation. In a very real sense, my age group is the one that will be paying for the boomers.” – Tisch ’86 alumnus David Newman, Baby Boomer

A version of this article appeared in the May 2 print edition. Email Abigail Weinberg at [email protected].