Sheer Madness: How to Work the Sheer Trend Into Your Wardrobe

Anna Letson

Incorporating sheer pieces into your wardrobe is easy to do and a quick way to layer outfits.

Paola Bakker, Contributing Writer

From mesh to tulle to chiffon to silk gauze, the sheer trend has taken off in a wide range of colors, fabrics, lengths and styles on both the streets and the runway. Though the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks about sheer clothing is provocativity and borderline lingerie, there are many ways to style this rising trend that can show as little or as much skin as one desires. Here are some ways to incorporate this trend into your wardrobe this season.

Tights

Want to dip into the shallow end of the sheer trend without revealing too much? Try wearing a pair of sheer black tights paired with any dress or skirt. Alexander Wang heavily utilized this extra layer on the runway, which he spiced up with thigh graphics spelling “girls” and “tender.” Not only can it add an extra touch to an outfit, but it can also help make you slightly less cold during this month’s temperature drop.

The slip dress

The slip dress has blown up this past year as its own trend, but if you want to make an already sexy piece a little more risque, opt for a sheer slip. Dress it down —  literally —  with some high waisted briefs and a bralette, or go for more coverage by layering the slip over a bodysuit. Designers such as Jason Wu and Tadashi Shoji presented sheer slip dresses in their fall collections, showing that even a delicate piece can make a statement. The nightgown-esque dresses also dominated the runway in Noon By Noor’s Spring 2017 collection, many of them being sheer and varying from ivory to blush to pitch black.

The jacket

Participate in the trend without freezing or feeling totally exposed by adding a sheer jacket or coat to any outfit. Chanel included a sheer embellished jacket in their pre-fall collection, pairing it with a maxi lace skirt and colorblock heels. Additionally, DKNY created several sheer jackets for its Spring 2017 line, ranging from pastel blue to neon orange, all hooded and paired with mesh biker shorts to convey a sporty vibe. A sheer jacket allows one to show off the clothing underneath while still adding dimension to the outfit with an extra piece, making it an essential to anyone’s wardrobe.

The layered button down

Though similar to the jacket, it adds a touch more sophistication to any outfit. Noon By Noor layered a sheer white button down over a white slip dress, classing up the ensemble and adding something interesting to a simple dress. In contrast, the same line included a sheer pajama-style button down over a black bustier, coupled with straight black trousers. The pajama-style makes the outfit more casual, showing how the sheer button down can take an outfit in any direction.

The top

The sheer top doesn’t necessarily have to be controversial. You can go braless, use pasties, wear a bra or even layer it over a t-shirt or turtleneck a style that was popular on the runway with Karen Walker and Creatures of the Wind in their fall collections. There is no wrong way to style this piece, as long as you’re comfortable and wear it with confidence — as you should wear every piece in your wardrobe.

Email Paola Bakker at [email protected].