As the Neighborhood Goes, So Do We

Sculptural piece by senior Christine Sersea

Hailey Nuthals

Hailey Nuthals

By Hailey Nuthals, Arts Editor

Tucked away in the Barney Building’s first floor on Stuyvesant St., the bachelor of fine arts students in the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development opened their exhibition “There Goes the Neighborhood” on the evening of Nov. 9. Curated by BFA students Olivia Chou, Jackie Monoson, Ila Krishnamoorthy and Iana Alcock, the gallery features works from 24 students in the program.

The exhibit is at once arresting and sparse; the blank white walls dominate the space, but instead of making the show seem empty, it makes each work seem even more starkly contrasted with its surroundings. Each artist gets a distinct space for their pieces, and viewers can appreciate each one by itself without being overwhelmed by the other pieces. The mediums range from video to painting to sculpture and video incorporated into sculptures.

What stood out about the show as a whole was the sheer variety of texture displayed. One piece by freshman William Adams was a large black tapestry with the image on it made with individual threads off of the fabric to create a bichromatic visual. Christine Searsea’s ceramic sculpture is incredible in its mastery of the textures that clay can afford. The surface had cracked and colorful glaze that made the sea urchin-esque work seem like it had been plucked from a tide pool.

Even the two-dimensional works were full of texture; Jenny Danou He’s piece had Chinese characters scrawled over a winding, pink expanse of something that could have been a sketch of a small intestine or a swath of fabric. It is projected above the stage in the western edge of the gallery — a piece that at once evokes the growing minimalist movement, the fascination with the grotesque and the complexity of the United States’ cultural relationship with China.

Throughout, “There Goes the Neighborhood” is a curious reflection — not necessarily on Greenwich Village or any New York neighborhood in particular, but the experiences we have in our neighborhoods. From peeling off white latex paint from one’s face (a la Clara Lu) to creating a triptych of a therapist’s pamphlet and accompanying images, the show is a scattered and absorbing trip through the experiences of NYU’s art students. From racism to sardonic critiques of Keith Haring, it’s fun and engaging the whole way through.

“There Goes the Neighborhood” is on display at the NYU Barney Building at 34 Stuyvesant St. through Nov. 20.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 14 print edition. Email Hailey Nuthals at [email protected] 

Hailey Nuthals, Editor-at-Large
Hailey Nuthals has done so much at WSN that she’s not really sure what she’s supposed to be doing there anymore. Mostly, she writes for arts and offers her opinion on just about anything. If she’s not in the WSN office, she’s probably writing or working somewhere else, or falling into deep rabbit holes of...
1 Comment

One Response to “As the Neighborhood Goes, So Do We”

1. feza on November 14th, 2016 8:55 am

SHE SAVED MY MARRIAGE AND BLESSED ME FINANCIALLY THROUGH SPECIAL PRAYERS THAT ACTIVATED THE ANOINTING OIL WHICH ALSO CONQUERED MY ENEMIES AT MY WORK PLACE .Several years of unhappiness in my marriage led to loneliness, continuous crying and suffering,after hearing about mama with a healing hand,i decided to visit her in he temple where she read my fortune accurately and told me about my past life,my marriage and business and in a MAGIC POT she performed a special prayer according to the BIBLE IN THE BOOK OF RUTH CHAPTER 1, NAOMI TOLD RUTH TO WASH HERSELF AND PUT THE ANOINTING OIL ON AND GO AND LAY BESIDE BOAZ AND HE WOULD ACCEPT HER AND MARRY HER! HE DID AND HE MARRIED HER! and in less than 3 days all my problems were over and I`m very happy in my marriage and my husband left his girl friend and came back to me.She also gave me powerful magic pot to boost my business and its stability and paid all my debts,ring to protect me from my enemies,magic wallet to increase my financial blessings and promotion at work .There is no any other way i can thank you MAMA but to tell others about you and your work.call her 0n +27638852972