Fall 2016 Crime Recap

By Diamond Naga Siu, News Editor

NYU saw 166 crimes during the fall semester โ€” September, October and November โ€” and November saw a slight dip in crime. Both September and October sustained 56 crimes, whereas November had 54. Larceny had the highest rate of reported incidents with 98 in total, while controlled substance and criminal mischief reports placed second and third with 18 and 15 reports respectively.

Of the 166 crimes, 12 happened in Tandon, but the most crimes happened at Bobst Library with 12 crimes in total. However, the second most common place for crime is Third North Residence Hall, which had 11 crimes โ€” it saw five crimes in October while Bobst only had one. And of the 17 residence halls, not including Affinia Hotel, four of them saw no crimes during this three month period: Othmer Hall, Coral Tower, Greenwich House and Senior House.

Below is a breakdown of total crimes this semester.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Dec. 5 print edition. Email Diamond Naga Siu at [email protected]

Diamond Naga Siu, News Editor
Diamond Naga Siu is the News Editor for the Washington Square News and is a sophomore studying Journalism and Educational Human Rights in Gallatin. When she isn’t telling bad puns or eating everything in sight, you can find her volunteering with children, meandering the streets or talking too much. Diamond Naga jumped coasts from Los...