Fire Erupts at NYU Langone Medical Center, No Injuries Reported

A fire broke out at a construction site located at NYU Langone Medical Center on Wednesday.

Lily Xing

Lily Xing

By Sayer Devlin, Deputy News Editor

At around 12:10 p.m. on Wednesday, the New York Fire Department responded to a two-alarm fire at NYU Langone Medical Center.

The massive blaze lit up the new Kimmel Pavilion, a section of the medical center that is currently under construction. According to a statement from NYU Langone, the fire on the seventh-floor rooftop was extinguished at approximately 12:45 p.m.

FDNY told DNAinfo that “rigid board,” a material for roofing insulation, caused the fire. A statement from NYU Langone said that no patients were harmed, there were no injuries and the fire was confined to the construction site.

“During this time, hospital operations did not cease,” the statement read. “As a precaution, some patients in rooms on the north side of Tisch Hospital facing the construction were moved to the south side of the floor.”

They said that since the fire, patients have been located back to their rooms and that it is investigating the cause and extent of the damages. The hospital is scheduled to open in 2018.

Email Sayer Devlin at [email protected]

Sayer Devlin, Managing Editor
Sayer Devlin is an Economics major in CAS and loves reading Marginal Revolution and Toni Morrison. In his time at WSN, he’s started the official podcast and doggedly reported on everything from the finances of NYU to the school’s racial makeup. He was born in Tokyo and has lived in Paris, London, Massachusetts and New...