People Flock to Washington Square Park for Emergency Rally

People attended the rally hosted by the Council On American-Islamic Relations in Washington Square Park in light of President Donald Trump's ban on immigrants from countries with a high Islamic population.

Staff Photo by Polina Buchak

Staff Photo by Polina Buchak

By Diamond Naga Siu, Editor-in-Chief

Talk surrounding President Donald Trump banning immigration from several countries with large Islamic populations prompted the Council On American-Islamic Relations to host an emergency rally in Washington Square Park today. Starting at 5 p.m., notable community figures presented speeches under the arch, crowds chanted in unison and press gathered to capture the event. Here is a collection of tweets from the WSN staff in attendance at the rally.

Washington Square News will update the story as the rally progresses.

Diamond Naga Siu, News Editor
Diamond Naga Siu is the News Editor for the Washington Square News and is a sophomore studying Journalism and Educational Human Rights in Gallatin. When she isn’t telling bad puns or eating everything in sight, you can find her volunteering with children, meandering the streets or talking too much. Diamond Naga jumped coasts from Los...
Emily Fong, Opinion Editor
Emily Fong is the Opinion Editor for the Washington Square News. She is a sophomore at the Gallatin School of Individualized Study, enjoys tea, and prefers using the Oxford comma. Follow her on Twitter in case she actually tweets something for once.