Gemy Maalouf F/W 2017

April Chang and Julia Saliba

By Michaela Hoffman, Violet Vision Editor

Gemy Maalouf’s Fall/Winter 2017 runway show at the Bowery Hotel instantly transported the guests into a refined 1920s cocktail party, not unlike one thrown by Jay Gatsby.

Before the show started, guests waited in a small and dimly lit bar area covered in maroon, dark wood and velvet curtains. Waiters dressed in pressed white shirts and bowties carried bite-sized appetizers on silver platters while guests sipped on champagne and mingled. The whole space exuded a dark elegance and refinement.

The show itself was held in a large study area equipped with crystal chandeliers and velvet loveseats for guests to sit on to watch the models walk. A viola player created soft music as the models emerged from a curtain. They were dressed in all types of evening wear, from nude two-piece ensembles to crystallized gowns. The color palette for the collection was kept to purples, blacks, greys and golds to ensure they were evening-appropriate. The dresses ranged in length, style and material. Some of the models wore black brocade dresses with silver stitching, while others modeled form-fitting golden beaded dresses.

Two stand out pieces by Maalouf were matching two-piece sets in both black and tan. The first set was a black and gold ensemble with flared, pleated black trousers with a matching black and gold kimono top. A second set was presented a few minutes later with the same pants in a nude, but the top was sheer nude with gold branch-like detailing stitched in the fabric. These pieces were a nice deviation from the dresses, and they were more ready-to-wear than some of the elegant gowns.

Gemy Maalouf’s F/W 2017 show was the embodiment of sophistication and high-class. You may be able to spot one of her designs on a red carpet one day.

Email Michaela Hoffman at [email protected]

Michaela Hoffman, Violet Vision Editor
Michaela Hoffman is the Violet Vision Editor for the Washington Square News. She is a freshman in the Liberal Studies Program and hails from Albany, NY. When Michaela to the big city this past fall, Michaela traded in her #basic but comfortable UGG boots for knee-high boots, “in the name of fashion.” However, she is a firm...