Senior House

Sierra Jackson, Co-Managing Editor

Residency: Undergraduate Seniors
Estimated yearly cost: $13,048 – $15,884
Low-cost rooms available: Yes
Commute to class: 10-15 minute walk to WSP, 20-25 minute subway ride to Tandon
Nearby subways: F, L, M, N, Q, R, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Shuttle: Yes

With its exposed-brick walls, modern furniture and high windows, Senior House looks more like a West Village industrial-style apartment building than a college dorm. The wooden floors, metal staircases and spacious rooms add to its charm.

Located on West 13th Street, Senior House is a special-interest housing option available exclusively to undergraduate seniors. This nine-story residence hall is divided into North and South towers, with house shared bedrooms in shared suites and two-person studios. Every set-up comes with its own kitchen, bathroom and common area. The dorm also offers two study lounges, two laundry rooms and a penthouse lounge with a communal kitchen.

Senior House’s only major shortcoming is that to enter or exit the North Tower, one must journey through tunnels in the basement.

Because the dorm is located in a residential West Village neighborhood, there is an abundance of restaurants and stores in the area. When you don’t feel like cooking, there’s a Chipotle on the same block. Murray’s Bagels, 16 Handles and Rite Aid are also located right on Sixth Avenue, and Union Square is within walking
distance of the building.

Senior House is a great choice for last-year students looking to increase their autonomy and fulfill their dreams of living in the West Village without relinquishing the luxury of living in NYU dorms.

Read the rest of the housing issue here.