Weinstein Hall

Kaitlyn Wang, Co-managing Editor

Residency: Freshmen
Estimated yearly cost: $12,476 – $16,692
Low-cost rooms available: Yes
Commute to class: 5 minute walk to WSP, 20-25 minute subway ride to Tandon
Nearby subways: N, R, A, C, E, 6
Shuttle: Yes

For first-years who prefer rolling right out of bed and into class, Weinstein is a perfect dorm option. Weinstein Hall, on 5 Washington Pl., is the most central residence hall you’ll find at NYU. About a minute’s walk from Washington Square Park, this hall houses about 600 first-year students in two towers. Most rooms are doubles in a studio or suite, although there are low-cost options for triple studios. There are also a very small number of private rooms. As with most residence halls at NYU, each suite or studio has its own private bathroom.

Weinstein’s other amenities include a lounge with ample seating space, a community kitchen and a big-screen TV. Even though Weinstein is a traditional residence hall — there are no kitchens in any of the rooms — you’re never going to be hungry.

There are multiple dining options within the building, which is perfect for those cold days when you don’t want to leave the warmth of the indoors. The all-you-can-eat Weinstein Passport Dining Hall is downstairs, and the Upstein Food Court — with options like Chik-fil-a and the Kosher Cafe — is on the first floor. Weinstein’s convenience store, Sidestein, also takes dining dollars and stocks everything from snacks to meals to toiletries.

Even with its convenience, the biggest drawback to Weinstein is its oft-noted sad cinderblock walls. Paired with the gray linoleum floors, these walls can make the whole room seem like a prison. That’s nothing that good decorations and a homey rug can’t fix.

Weinstein’s proximity to Washington Square Park is its biggest plus — not only are you close to the park, you’re also less than five minutes away from Bobst Library, the Kimmel Center for University Life and multiple NYU class buildings.

Read the rest of the housing issue here.